We celebrate the scholarship, projects and accomplishments of our talented and diverse arts and sciences faculty.
- Aimée Baker
- Dr. Karina Ckless
- Dr. Mustafa Demir
- Dr. Beth Dixon
- Diane Fine
- Dr. Arzu Gul
- Dr. Shawna Mefferd Kelty
- Sue Lezon
- Dr. Stephen Light
- Dr. Justin Lowry
- Dr. John McMahon
- Dr. Sam Northshield
- Dr. Sandra Rezac
- Dr. Scott Reznick
- Dr. Jonathan Slater
- Dr. Rajesh Sunasee
- Dr. Kelly Theisen
- Dr. Jose Torres
Lecturer, Department of English
- The essay “Beasts of the Fields,” which was published February 2021 in Guernica, was selected to be in an anthology about lyric essays, A Harp in the Stars: An Anthology of Lyric Essays. Edited by Randon Billings Noble and published by University of Nebraska Press, the anthology will be out in October 2021.
Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Ckless, K.; Sunasee, R. Chapter 19 – Mitochondria-Targeted Drugs and Immune Function.
In Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Nanotherapeutics; Oliveira, M. R. de, Ed.; Academic Press, 2021; pp 499–524. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-
Associate Professor, Department of Criminal Justice
- Mustafa Demir (2021). Police perceptions of body-worn cameras (BWCs) by type of police agency, Journal of Policing, Intelligence and Counter Terrorism, DOI: 10.1080/18335330.2021.1962956
Professor & Chair, Department of Philosophy
- 2020 International Conference on Food Studies; Panel presentation by Beth Dixon, Meredith Abarca, and Tatiana Abatemarco. “Ethics, Applied Humanities, and Food Studies.” October 12, 2020.
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor, Department of Art
Currently showing twelve prints in Ink on Paper: A Letterpress Showcase an international, invitational exhibition for letterpress printers and artists at Great Park Gallery, The Palm Court Arts Complex, Irvine CA.
- Sunday, April 4 – Sunday, June 13, 2021
Lecturer, ESL Program, Department of English
- “Supporting Teacher Change in an English as a Foreign Language Environment: A Peer-Coaching Study in Turkey,” American Journal of Qualitative Research (AJQR)
Associate Professor & Chair, Department of Theatre
- Mefferd Kelty, S. (November 2020). Spinning Truth(s), Myths, Gossip, and Facts in the Theatre History Classroom. Theatre Topics, 30(3). https://doi.org/10.1353/tt.2020.0037
Associate Professor & Chair, Department of Art
Participated in group exhibitions at the Center for Contemporary Arts in Abilene, Texas.
- October 24 – December 11, 2020
Professor, Department of Sociology
- “Incarceration and the Failure of Opioid Addiction Treatment in the United States.” Contemporary Sociology 49 (6), November 2020: 487-491. (Invited Review Essay).
Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
- Castillo, M. N., Lowry, J. P., & Paling, J. S. (2020). Testing the Waters: Tzeltal Maya Rituals, Reconnaissance, and Survey of Lakes in the Lacanhá Basin, Chiapas, Mexico. Journal of Maritime Archaeology, 15(4), 451-474.
Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science
- Crandall, E., Brown, R. and McMahon, J. “Magicians of the Twenty-First Century: Utopia, Work, and Domination in Silicon Valley,” Theory & Event 24 (3), 841-873
- Issar, S., Brown, R., and McMahon, J. “Rosa Luxemburg and the Primitive Accumulation of Whiteness.” In Creolizing Rosa Luxemburg, ed. Drucilla Cornell and Jane Anna Gordon, Rowman & Littlefield
Professor, Department of Mathematics
- “Topographs; Conway and otherwise”, Fibonacci Quarterly 58 (2020), no. 5, 172–189.
Associate Professor & Chair, Department of Sociology
- April 2021 recipient of the Ram Chugh/Senate Outstanding Service Award. “The Ram Chugh/Senate Outstanding Service Award is conferred by the SUNY University Faculty Senate Executive Committee. Nominees for the award must have achieved a reputation for outstanding service in the area of faculty governance at the System and Campus levels. Consideration will be given for a sustained level of commitment for a minimum of five years.” More information about the Ram Chugh/Senate Outstanding Service Award.
Assistant Professor, Department of English
- “Literature, Politics, and Reality: Revisiting the Dark and Bloody Crossroads,” Forma de Vida No. 21 (Summer 2021)
Professor & Chair, Department of Journalism & Public Relations
- Dr. Jonathan Slater (journalism and public relations) was the invited speaker at this fall’s BMP Rotating Lecture Program in Canadian Studies. Slater delivered a webinar, Marshall McLuhan, the Man Behind Québec’s October Crisis?, to audiences at Bridgewater State University and McGill University.
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry
- Pacherille, A.; Tuga, B.; Hallooman, D.; Dos Reis, I.; Vermette, M.; Issack, B.B.; Rhyman, L.; Ramasami, P.; Sunasee, R*. “BiCl3-Facilitated Removal of Methoxymethyl-Ether/Ester Derivatives and DFT Study of -O-C-O- Bond Cleavage,” New Journal of Chemistry, 2021, 45, 7109–7116. DOI: 10.1039/d1nj00449b
Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry
- SUNY Plattsburgh Center for Teaching Excellence presentation: “How to Help Students Reframe Academic Anxiety by Cultivating a Growth Mindset.” (Sept. 2020).
Professor, Department of English
Oct. 2020 — The Los Angeles Review of Books and the University of California, Riverside, has awarded Dr. Jose Torres the inaugural Tomás Rivera Book Prize for “an author whose work examines the long and varied contributions of Chicanx/Latinx in the United States.” Read full press release here.
More to Explore
Our faculty and students are active and engaged. From regular colloquies hosted by the Institute for Ethics in Public Life, to tantalizing exhibitions at our Plattsburgh State Art Museum, to groundbreaking research at the Lake Champlain Research Institute, we invite you to explore all arts and sciences has to offer.