How to Apply for Readmission
Step 1: Apply
Students interested in applying for readmission must complete the Online Application for Readmission. You may need to access important admissions forms for the application process. If you have attended another institution after leaving SUNY Plattsburgh, please have your official transcripts sent to the Admissions Office.
Step 2: Submit the Application Fee
The $50 non-refundable application fee is required for all readmission applicants. Students interested in having their readmission application fee waived must complete the online Readmission Fee Waiver Request Form and upload with supporting documents to the application.
The $50 application fee may be paid in any one of the following three ways:
- Online - The quickest way to process your application fee is to pay online with a major credit card or an electronic check.
- Phone - To pay over the phone (by credit card only), please call the Student Accounts Office at 518-564-3120.
- Mail - Mail a check, along with your readmit application, to the Admissions Office. Checks should be made payable to "SUNY Plattsburgh Admissions Office."
Step 3: Send Requested Information
If there are any items that are needed, or additional actions that must be taken, you will be contacted by the Admissions Office. You may also check your application status by logging into your MyPlattsburgh Account and clicking on the Admissions tab.
Please Note: In some cases, the Admissions Office may request your mid-term grades for review. If your college produces mid-term grades, simply mail, fax, or scan and email your mid-term grades with your readmit application. If not, please have your professors list your grades and sign their names on the form below. Upon receipt, your application will be reviewed for readmission.
Special Consideration Readmission Policy (Academic Amnesty)
Students applying for readmission after 5+ years may submit a letter to the director of admissions detailing the request academic amnesty. If granted, a student's previous Plattsburgh record is evaluated as if the courses were taken elsewhere. To be eligible:
- The student must not have been enrolled in any courses at the college during the previous five years.
- Only grades received in courses taken after readmission will subsequently count toward their GPA with the exception of credits that have already been applied toward a completed bachelor’s degree.
- Courses with a grade high enough to warrant transfer credit had they been taken at another institution will be counted toward meeting graduation requirements, but the grade will not be computed toward the student's GPA.
- While the student's GPA after readmission will be computed based only on grades for subsequent courses taken at Plattsburgh, the earlier academic record of the student prior to readmission will remain without change.
- Requests for special consideration will be reviewed and granted no later than the time the readmitted student begins classes.
Please note: A student may only be readmitted under this policy once. Students that have earned a bachelor’s degree from SUNY Plattsburgh are not eligible for this program if they decide to return for a second degree. This policy is also not available for our traditional nursing program.
- Students who have been dismissed twice from the college will not be granted readmission until their cumulative GPA is the equivalent of a 2.0 through the non-matriculated student process.
- If a student was originally dismissed for plagiarism, readmission may be denied for up to five years.
- Students in good academic standing (cumulative GPA at SUNY Plattsburgh at or above a 2.00) may be eligible for summer or winter readmission.