SUNY Plattsburgh is a residential campus located in a small city. SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury is a branch campus, offering selected undergraduate and graduate programs. Both campuses are walkable, safe and scenic.
About Our Campus
- College Type: Four-year, public comprehensive college
- Undergraduate Enrollment: 4,323
- Graduate Enrollment: 415
- International Enrollment: 203
- Countries Represented: 45
- Average Class Size: 22
- Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 16:1
- Male/Female Balance: 39% male, 61% female
- Percentage of tenure-track faculty holding the highest degree in their field: 93%
- Learn more about the academic interests, geographic locations and the overall composition of our students:
SUNY Plattsburgh offers more than 60 degree programs within three academic schools:
- Arts and Science
- School of Business and Economics (AACSB accredited)
- Education, Health, and Human Services
Our expansive internship program provides students with practical experiences and important job connections. Students can further enhance their studies by choosing from an extensive network of study abroad and national student exchange programs.
Companies such as IBM and the Washington Internship Institute actively recruit our students for both internships and jobs. These experiences often lead to successful career opportunities and quick advancement for our alumni, who have ended up landing positions such as the Vice President of Morgan Stanley in New York City.
A Rich & Diverse Environment
Our geographic location is another highly prized asset that is a benefit to students. The Green Mountains of Vermont and New York’s Adirondacks rise majestically above the Lake Champlain valley, a U.N.-designated biosphere and focus of environmental study.
Plattsburgh is an hour’s drive from Montreal, Lake Placid, and Burlington. The region provides students with rich recreational and cultural experiences. A range of movie theaters, restaurants and shopping malls are nearby.
Many faiths are served by local houses of worship and by campus religious organizations.
Mass transit provides transportation access from all parts of the northeastern United States.
About 89.6 percent of SUNY Plattsburgh students are New York state residents. However, no resident quotas are used in admission. In fact, we take pride in the diversity of our campus, and actively recruit students from approximately 23 states and more than 70 countries. Special grants are available to these students.
Approximately 1,000 first-year students, 300 transfers, and 100 graduate students enroll each year.
Campus activities abound in the residential, seven-day-a-week atmosphere. More than 100+ student organizations span cultural, social, academic, and recreational interests. In addition, intercollegiate athletics, intramural and club sports are very popular.
All residence halls are equipped with wireless internet connections. Each dorm room is equipped with two high-speed wired computer connections to the college’s network and the internet. Wireless zones and online computer stations are available throughout the campus.
Support for Students
Many special programs and support services exist for students:
- Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) is offered to qualified students needing extra academic and financial support.
- Student Support Services provides academic, personal, and career counseling for eligible physically and learning-challenged students.
- Clark Learning Center offers free peer tutoring, computer-assisted instruction, writing and study skills seminars, and academic counseling to all students.
- Career Development Center assists students with all aspects of career planning and job placement, and offers many internships that let students gain hands-on career experiences prior to graduation.
- An active Honors Program provides qualified students with special opportunities for academic challenges and personal growth.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in phar:///var/www/staging/_resources/scripts/brei.feedmanager.ext/Filtering/FilteredObject.php on line 126