Work-Study & Student Jobs
There are many opportunities for SUNY Plattsburgh students who wish to work while in college. On-campus employment is available through the Federal Work-Study Program and Student Temporary Service. Local businesses and organizations also support students with part-time job opportunities. Participation in the community advocate program is another way to help reduce your college costs. Our graduate assistantship program is available to eligible graduate level students to assist with educational expenses.
Types of Student Employment
- Work-Study is a federal student aid program that provides part-time employment. Students who file the FAFSA closest to October 1 each year, select interest in work-study on the FAFSA, and demonstrate financial need may be awarded. Wages earned from participation in the program helps students with monthly educational and personal expenses, but are not deducted from the college bill. The current wage rate for most work-study jobs is $11.80/hour. On December 31, 2020 the NYS minimum wage rate is scheduled to increase to $12.50/hour.
- Temporary Service offers part-time student jobs in various departments across campus. Like work-study, wages earned from temp service helps students with monthly educational and personal expenses, but are not deducted from the college bill. The current wage rate for most temp service jobs is $12.50/hour.
- Off-Campus jobs may be available in professional offices, restaurants, retail establishments and other local businesses. Area residents also hire students for help with childcare, yardwork or housework.
- Community Advocate (CA) positions help reduce students housing and board costs, in return for building community by providing programming, floor meetings and assistance with residence hall safety and security. Visit Campus Housing and Community Living to learn more about becoming a CA.
- Graduate Assistantships are available in housing, administrative and academic areas on campus. Funding supplied to graduate assistants comes in the form of tuition scholarships and direct stipends. Learn more about SUNY Plattsburgh’s graduate assistantships.