Work-Study & Student Jobs
There are many opportunities available if you wish to work while in college.
Types of Student Employment
You can find work on-campus through the federal work-study program or student temporary service. Local businesses and organizations also support our students with part-time job opportunities. Participation in the community advocate program is another way to help reduce your college costs. For graduate students, assistantship programs are available to eligible students to assist with educational expenses.
- Work-study is a federal student aid program that provides part-time employment. Students who file the FAFSA closest to October 1 each year, select interest in work-study on the FAFSA, and demonstrate financial need may be awarded. Wages earned from participation in the program helps students with monthly educational and personal expenses, but are not deducted from the college bill. The current wage rate for most work-study jobs is $14.20/hour.
- Temporary service offers part-time student jobs in various departments across campus. Like work-study, wages earned from temp service helps students with monthly educational and personal expenses, but are not deducted from the college bill. The current wage rate for most temp service jobs is $14.20/hour.
- Off-campus jobs may be available in professional offices, restaurants, retail establishments and other local businesses. Area residents also hire students for help with childcare, yardwork or housework.
- Community advocate (CA) positions help reduce students housing and board costs, in return for building community by providing programming, floor meetings and assistance with residence hall safety and security. Visit Campus Housing and Community Living to learn more about becoming a CA.
- Graduate assistantships are available in housing, administrative and academic areas on campus. Funding supplied to graduate assistants comes in the form of tuition scholarships and direct stipends. Learn more about SUNY Plattsburgh’s graduate assistantships.
Experience Opportunities at SUNY Plattsburgh
Make the most of your SUNY Plattsburgh experience. Involvement in student employment, internships and assistantships helps defray college costs while building skills relevant to your future.