Situated on the shores of Lake Champlain, Plattsburgh is nestled between the Adirondack Mountains of New York and the Green Mountains of Vermont.
Montreal, the second-largest city in Canada, is an hour away — and so are Burlington, Vermont, and the Olympic Village of Lake Placid. Students shop, eat, explore and see concerts in all three places.
In downtown Plattsburgh alone, you’ll find more than 20 eateries and food shops. Within a 10-mile radius, there are 50-plus more. If you’re looking for North Country staples, try a michigan or poutine. Delis are student favorites for off-campus lunch. For dinner, choose between Greek, Himalayan, Mexican, Thai, Japanese, Italian and American cuisine.
We also have lots of shops, museums and theaters to keep you busy. Plus, the Strand Center for the Arts offers tons of classes, exhibitions and shows throughout the year!
Skiing, Hiking and More
Hike the 46 High Peaks of the Adirondack Mountains or any of the many smaller mountains that surround them. Ski Whiteface Mountain, the venue of the 1980 Winter Olympics alpine skiing competitions, or take a bike ride along the Lake Champlain waterfront, which is just minutes from campus. During the warmer months, students can kayak, paddle board or swim in its waters.
Join an outdoor recreation-focused club like our Ski and Snowboard Club, Outing Club, Biketopia or the Environmental Action Committee.
Regional Activities & Resources
SUNY Plattsburgh is a major intellectual and cultural center in upstate New York and the Champlain Valley. There are also many other activities in the Lake Champlain Valley Region you can explore. Follow the links below to find out more about what our region has to offer.
New York State
Use these links to explore upstate New York:
- Adirondack.Net - Discover the Adirondacks with things to do, places to stay and an event calendar.
- Clinton County Bus Schedule - The Clinton County Public Transit provides bus transportation around the area.
- Fort Ticonderoga - Visit the site of the first American victory in the Revolutionary War.
- Gore Mountain - With 14 lifts and 110 trails, Gore is a ski and ride paradise.
- Lake Champlain Ferries - Take a ferry across Lake Champlain to explore all that Vermont has to offer.
- Lake Placid - Learn about all of the fun things to do in Lake Placid!
- Where to Stay in Plattsburgh, NY - A list of hotels and motels in and around Plattsburgh.
- North Country Chamber of Commerce - Our regional Chamber of Commerce, serving Clinton, Essex, Franklin, Hamilton and the northern Warren counties in NYS and southern Quebec.
- Titus Mountain - Three interconnected mountains with 50 trails, including three terrain parks!
- Whiteface Mountain - 288 skiable areas, including double-black diamond wilderness terrain and glades skiing.
- Montreal, Canada