Mission, Vision & Priorities
SUNY Plattsburgh is committed to the mission, vision and values in its 2013–2018 Campus Plan.
SUNY Plattsburgh is a public, comprehensive college that prepares students for academic, professional and personal success.
SUNY Plattsburgh will be a model comprehensive college for a student-centered approach to higher education. The “Plattsburgh Experience” will be recognized as one that matches student talents and abilities with pathways to academic, professional and personal success.
- Student-centered education
- Academic excellence
- Diverse people, experiences and ideas
- Critical inquiry
- Community and civic engagement
- Integrity, civility and collegiality
- Environmental sustainability
- Affordability and value
- Stewardship of resources
- Freedom to speak, think and write
Discussions across campus beginning in 2018 led to the recognition that three priorities had emerged as a natural transition and should continue to inform strategic planning efforts at the institution. These three priorities are:
- Support for the Student Experience
- Increasing Financial Sustainability
- Advancing Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
In the context of continuing change, a still-challenging fiscal environment, and in anticipation of a new president, these priorities are set to guide departments and individuals in planning and continuous improvement.
The priorities, for example, were the guiding principles behind the hiring of a Vice President for Institutional Diversity, Equity and Inclusion; the creation of a Vice President for Enrollment and Student Success; and the creation of a campus Financial Stability Plan.
Campus Plan 2013–2018 Close Out
SUNY Plattsburgh’s strategic focus was guided for much of the past decade by its Campus Plan.
Formally adopted in April 2013, it was the product of two lead committees and an inclusive process that featured more than 40 community meetings with stakeholder groups.
Along with new mission and vision statements, it identified six strategic priorities:
- Strengthen Support for Student Success
- Promote Teaching Excellence
- Expand Opportunities for Experiential Learning
- Increase Global Experiences and Multicultural Competencies
- Build Our Community Connections
- Cultivate a Culture of Continuous Improvement
Over the life of the plan and following, many of the goals and objectives within these strategic priorities were completed. Below are a sampling of accomplishments in the six key goal areas.