Welcome to the SUNY Plattsburgh Psychology Department! Psychology uses the scientific method to study behavior and thought processes in humans and animals. We offer an undergraduate major or minor in psychology and a graduate program in school psychology.
In our undergraduate program, you will learn about psychology as a scientific discipline, preparing you for work or graduate study in a diverse range of fields. Please visit our psychology major page to learn more.
School psychology graduate students earn the M.A./C.A.S. in school psychology. Our NASP-accredited program provides carefully focused knowledge and training in school psychology, following the scientist-practitioner model. You will work closely with individual faculty members, and become eligible for certification as a school psychologist in New York State. More information can be found on our school psychology graduate program page.
Services and Community Outreach
The Psychology Department hosts the campus-wide Center for Neurobehavioral Health, which provides numerous services to the community. Both graduate and undergraduate students gain invaluable community service and research experience through assisting with these programs. Affiliated clinics include:
- Neuropsychology Clinic and Psychoeducational Services
- Traumatic Brain Injury Center
- Nexus Program for children with autism spectrum disorders
Departmental Awards & Scholarships
Award for Academic Excellence in Psychology
Purpose: This award recognizes senior-level psychology students who have demonstrated superior academic achievement in psychology.
Eligibility and Criteria
- Full-time or part-time matriculated students completing their senior year who are majoring in psychology.
- A minimum major GPA of 3.9 in psychology.
All students meeting these criteria will be considered for this award, including December graduates.
Deadline: First Friday after spring break.
- Outstanding Psychology Student Award
- Dr. William Tooke Sophomore Award for Excellence in Psychology
- Dr. William Tooke Senior Award for Excellence in Psychology