English Placement & First-Year Composition FAQs
Questions about English Placement & First-Year Composition
Questions about Directed Self Placement (DSP)
- What is DSP?
DSP allows you to reflect on your reading and writing skills by completing an online questionnaire, which includes watching a video on SUNY Plattsburgh’s First-Year Composition (FYC) program; speaking with and/or emailing a FYC faculty member if you wish; and taking an in-class diagnostic during the first week of classes. The questionnaire should take 1–1.5 hours to complete; it will also give you a recommendation, but it is your decision to select path A (ENG100 and ENG101) or path B (ENG101 only).
- Must I do DSP?
- I am registered for what, in terms of my writing skills, seems like the wrong course. Is there anything I can do?
- What is the DSP Questionnaire and what does it include?
- I completed the DSP questionnaire, which suggested I register for a path I think may not be ideal for me. May I disagree?
- How are summer orientation and DSP related?
- I am not attending summer orientation. May I still choose placement by DSP?
- If I complete DSP, can I change my mind?
- I’ve completed the DSP questionnaire. When will I hear back about my DSP essay?
- Who will read my DSP essay?
Questions about First-Year Composition (FYC)
- Why must I take First-Year Composition coursework?
- What is the difference between English 100 and English 101?
- Is English 100 for students who can’t write?
- If I take English 100, won’t it take me longer to graduate?
- I’m going to major in one of the STEM majors (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics). Why should I take an extra writing course when I don’t really need to write?
- I already took English for college credit. Do I need to take FYC coursework?
- I took the AP English Language and Composition test but I don’t know my score. Do I need to take FYC coursework?
- I earned a 3 on the AP English Language and Composition test. Do I need to take FYC coursework?
- I may have taken an English class that is equivalent of ENG 101 but I’m unsure. Must I enroll in FYC coursework?
Adapted from San Francisco State University English Tutoring Center. “Frequently Asked Questions.” SFSU English Tutoring Center, n.d., http://etc.sfsu.edu/node/901.