English Literature Major
This major is designed for students who love to read, who love language, who love narratives in all forms. It’s a great major for students who want careers in fields that require exceptional reading, writing, and interpretive skills, such as law, college teaching, publishing, editing, advertising, librarianship and public relations.
What Will I Learn?
- How to understand, appreciate and interpret classic and contemporary literary texts
- How to think critically and analytically
- How to apply analytical and interpretive skills to other media, including film
- How to write in clear, lucid, effective prose
What is Unique About Our Program?
Our program grounds you in the classics of literary history, as well as in contemporary forms, genres, and media, including film. Courses expose you to a wide range of diverse perspectives. You will have regular opportunities to study abroad in Canada, London, Paris, Barcelona and other exciting places.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
English is a preferred degree for people considering going into professional fields. Did you know that…
- Law schools recommend English as the preferred major for students considering careers in law.
- Medical schools also value English majors. They recognize how important effective communication skills are for future doctors and medical professionals.
- One of the fastest-growing career tracks for English majors is business. Business schools find students with B.A.s in English to be well prepared for M.B.A. programs.
- American companies prize the verbal and written communication skills that English majors possess, along with their finely honed analytical and critical thinking skills. This skill set is in top demand at nearly every company in America.
- English is also an excellent field to prepare students for graduate work in a variety of disciplines, as well as future careers in teaching.