Dr. Renee Bator
Professor of Psychology, Social Psychology
My research interests include the application of persuasion theory to pro-social outcomes, especially those with environmental or health benefits. I have created and tested anti-littering public service announcements, as well as examined persuasion attempts to motivate safer sex, to promote a commitment to exercise, and to encourage an anti-smoking commitment among adolescents.
- Ph.D. in Social Psychology, Arizona State University, 1997
- M.A. in Social Psychology, Arizona State University, 1994
- B.A. in Psychology, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1991
- PSY205 — Experimental Design
- PSY206 — Psych Statistics
- PSY361 — Social Psychology
- Social influence
- Proenvironmental behavior change
Webster, G. D., DeWall, C. N., Xu, Y., Orozco, T., Crosier, B. S., Nezlek, J. B., Bryan, A. D., & Bator, R. J. (in press). Facultative formidability: Physical size shapes men’s aggressive traits and behaviors in sports. Evolutionary Behavioral Sciences.
- Bator, R.J., Phelps, K., Tabanico, J., Schultz, P.W., & Walton, M.L. (2019). When it is not about the money: Social comparison and energy conservation among residents who do not pay for electricity. Energy Research & Social Science, 56, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.erss.2019.05.008
- Webster, G. D., DeWall, C. N., Pond, R. S., Jr., Deckman, T., Jonason, P. K., Le, B. M., Nichols, A. L., Schember, T. O., Crysel, L. C., Crosier, B. S., Smith, C. V., Paddock, E. L., Nezlek, J. B., Kirkpatrick, L. A., Bryan, A. D., & Bator, R.J. (2015). The Brief Aggression Questionnaire: Structure, validity, reliability, and generalizability. Journal of Personality Assessment, 97, 638–349. DOI: 10.1080/00223891.2015.1044093
- Webster, G.D., DeWall, C N., Pond, R.S., Jr., Deckman, T., Jonason, P.K., Le, B.M., Nichols, A.L., Schember, T.O., Crysel, L.C., Crosier, B.S., Smith, C.V., Paddock, E.L., Nezlek, J.B., Kirkpatrick, L.A., Bator, R.J., & Bryan, A.D. (2014). The Brief Aggression Questionnaire: Psychometric and behavioral evidence for an efficient measure of trait aggression. Aggressive Behavior, 40(2), 120–139. doi: 10.1002/ab.21507.
- Bator, R.J., Tabanico, J.J., Walton, M.L., & Schultz, P.W. (2014). Promoting energy conservation with implied norms and explicit messages. Social Influence, 9(1), 69–82. https://doi.org/10.1080/15534510.2013.778213
- Schultz, P.W., Bator, R.J., Large, L.B., Bruni, C.M., Tabanico, J.T., (2013). Littering in context: Personal and environmental predictors of littering behavior. Environment and Behavior, 45(1), 35–59. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0013916511412179
- Bator, R.J., Bryan, A., & Schultz, P.W. (2011). Who gives a hoot? Intercept surveys of litterers and disposers. Environment and Behavior, 43(3), 295–315. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F0013916509356884
Recent Conference Presentations
- Bator, R.J. (2018, March). What, Why and How: Using Research to Change Littering and Recycling Behaviors. Sixth International Marine Debris Conference, San Diego, California, USA
- Bator, R.J., Geller, S., Nolan, J.M., & Schultz, W. (2017, January). Utilizing the Keep America Beautiful Behavior Change System: Producing lasting results. Keep America Beautiful National Conference, Washington, DC.
- Schultz, W., & Phelps, K. (with Walton, M., Dunn, A., Tabanico, J., Schmitt, J., & Bator, R.) (2016, October). Using environmental and public health messages to motivate energy conservation. Behavior, Energy, and Climate Change Conference, Baltimore, MD.
- Schmitt, J. (with Bator, R., Walton, M., Tabanico, J. Schultz, W., & Phelps,K.) (2016, January). Measuring the Effectiveness of Intrinsic Priming at Reducing Energy Consumption in a Multi-Family Setting. Blitz Session. Presentation conducted at the 5th annual meeting of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Sustainability Pre-conference, San Diego, CA.
- Walton, M., Bator, R., Schultz, W., Schmitt, J., & Tabanico, J. (2014, December). Using social norms and feedback to achieve energy savings in non-metered multi-family housing. Paper presented at annual conference of Behavior, Energy and Climate Change, Washington, DC.
- Bator, R. (2014, March). Promoting Energy Conservation with Implied Norms and Explicit Messages. Invited presentation at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association, Boston, MA.
- Bator, R.J. (2013, April). Plenary session speaker at the 2013 Implementing Behavior Change for Energy Efficiency Conference, Chicago, IL