Adolescence Education, Grades 7–12 Master’s
Classes 100% Online, Fieldwork In Person
The M.S.T. adolescence education program is a 42 credit hour graduate program leading to initial New York state certification for grades 7–12 in biology, chemistry, earth science, English, French, mathematics, physics, social studies or Spanish.
This program can be completed in three semesters as a full-time student.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn to meet the educational needs of adolescents in a dynamic world. This includes the interrelationship between academic content, pedagogical application, continued learning and the moral and political considerations of working with adolescents.
Depending on the curriculum of your bachelor’s program, you may have to complete additional undergraduate courses in your content area.
What is Unique About Our Program?
- With our accredited program, you will be eligible for initial certification immediately upon graduation in one of the following subject areas: biology, chemistry, earth science, English, French, history, mathematics, physics, or Spanish. After three years of teaching, you will be eligible for professional certification.
- Earn your degree close to home and on your schedule. You will complete your coursework asynchronously online while conducting field work in approved 7–12 school placements that match the teaching certification of pursuit, in sites from the Canadian border to New York City and at locations everywhere in between.
- Options. Whether you are looking to change careers with no previous coursework in education or are an in-service teacher looking to obtain certification and further your career, our faculty mentors are here to guide you.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Professional opportunities for adolescence education majors have never been greater. The graying of educators combined with an increasing number of children and a decrease in class size has created a shortage of teachers in most of the United States. In particular, most states cannot adequately staff math, science and foreign language classes at the middle and high school level.
- Public schools of New York state
- Private schools across the United States
- States that have New York certification reciprocity