Steps to Certification
To view the steps needed for specific certificates, see program checklists with with program codes below.
Important note: Securing and maintaining certification credentials are the personal and professional responsibility of each teacher, administrator and school psychologist. It is your responsibility to stay current regarding changes to certification or program requirements. Regular contact with your advisor, careful reading of resources and thoughtful organization of credentialing materials are all essential to having a successful certification experience.
Current & Prospective Students
- Academic Preparation & Completion of an Approved Program
- Sign the TEACH Waiver Consent Form
- Create a TEACH Account
- New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCEs)
- Internship Certificates
- Institutional Recommendation
- Apply & Pay for the Certificate
- Certification Checklists with Program Codes
Paper certificates are NOT printed for time limited certificates (initial, provisional or internship). Paper certificates are printed only for permanent and professional certificates and will be mailed by NYSED 8–14 weeks after issuance.