Special Education Master’s Programs
Choose to specialize in one of four areas: Birth – Grade 2, Birth – Grade 6, Grades 1–6, Grades 7–12
What Will I Learn?
Our program allows you to:
- Focus on multiple ways to teach children identified with special needs
- Develop abilities to work with other child-oriented professionals in a variety of settings (e.g., classroom, inclusion, and resource room)
- Explore innovative approaches to interdisciplinary teaching across content areas
- Plan, implement, and reflect on instruction that meets the diverse needs of students
- Develop knowledge and skills to assess and respond to student learning
- Create engaging and supportive learning communities
- Promote ways to support and learn from families
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Our early childhood and elementary M.S.Ed. programs are geared toward individuals who already hold an undergraduate degree and certificate in education.
- For the grades 7–12 program, a B.S. or B.A in a field other than education is sufficient pending a transcript evaluation.
- These programs satisfy the requirement for a master’s degree as required by NYSED (New York State Education Department) for professional certification
- Flexible: Study full-time or part-time in convenient afternoon, evening, or online courses
- Master core pedagogy while engaging in content-specific work
- Tailored programs and electives allow you to pursue your unique interests and focus on areas of particular need
- Engage in field experience connected to your coursework
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Special educators are in high demand throughout New York and across the country.
- Special educators in the grade range specified by your program
- Providers of AIS (Academic Intervention Services) who focus on instruction of learners with special needs