Childhood Education Master’s, Grades 1–6
Classes 100% Online, Fieldwork In Person
The M.S.T. childhood education program is a 42 credit hour graduate program leading to initial New York state certification for grades 1–6. The program can be completed in three semesters as a full-time student.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn to meet the educational needs of children in a dynamic world. This includes the interrelationship between academic content, pedagogical application, continued learning, and the moral and political considerations of working with children.
Depending on the curriculum of your bachelor’s program, you may have to complete additional undergraduate courses in your content area and a year of college-level foreign or sign language prior to matriculation.
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Earn your degree close to home and on your schedule. You will complete your coursework asynchronously online while conducting field work in approved 1–6 school placements that match the teaching certification of pursuit, in sites from the Canadian border to New York City and at locations everywhere in between.
- Options. Whether you are looking to change careers with no previous coursework in education or are an in-service teacher looking to obtain certification and further your career, our faculty mentors are here to guide you.
You may also apply to the Classroom Academy, a two-year residency placement program administered by our Queensbury branch campus which lets you co-teach alongside an expert attending teacher and get paid a living stipend.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Professional opportunities for childhood education majors are growing. The graying of educators combined with an increasing number of children and a decrease in class size has created a shortage of teachers in most of the United States.
- Public schools of New York State
- Private schools across the United States
- States that have New York certification reciprocity.