Exercise & Nutrition Labs & Facilities
The Department of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences facilities promote hands-on learning and experimentation. In addition, we have a unique learning space in Sibley Hall with computers and workspaces dedicated to our students.
Hands-On Learning & Top-Notch Facilities
Gain In-Depth Experience
Our fitness and personal training lab is well equipped, including with a Monark ergometer, a BIOPAC EEG system, and devices such as goniometers and body composition tools.
The Personal Training Laboratory allows you to:
- Analyze health/medical questionnaire forms and determine the implementation of the American College of Sports Medicine® (ACSM) risk stratification process for potential new clients/members.
- Develop individualized and group exercise programs for normal to special populations of all ages and become an educator/teacher of exercise movements and biomechanical analysis.
- Discuss the components, sequencing and timing of year-round physical training systems using a variety of movements with conventional commercial equipment, free weights and other forms and applications of exercise programming.
- Analyze posture and body alignment and evaluate the anatomical structures of the vertebral column and other extremities using a posture and body alignment grid and client evaluation sheet.
- Measure, record and analyze testing assessments for the musculoskeletal, joint and cardiovascular systems.
- Experience and practice consultation and communication skills with clients and students in the fitness and health environment.
Other fitness-related campus resources include the fitness center, athletic facilities and the recreational sports program.
Experiment with Food & Science
Our food lab is a great place to learn about culinary arts and healthy cooking, as well as for conducting food science experiments and socializing during our Student Nutrition Association’s potlucks.
Other nutrition-related campus resources include the campus dietitian and the school garden, which is located next to Sibley.