Learn about nutrition and become an expert who can work with people to help improve health and change lives. Our program meets the accreditation requirements set forth by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), which is needed to pursue certifications as registered dietitian-nutritionist (RD or RDN) or dietetic technician, registered (DTR or DTRN).
What Will I Learn?
The nutrition major teaches you about science, psychology, the human body and how food and nutrition can promote health and well-being. You will explore current topics and learn about culinary arts, nutrition education and counseling, nutrition status assessment, and how nutritional guidelines and medical nutrition therapy can enhance performance and quality of life. We offer a wide range of courses and activities that promote professional skill development.
What is Unique About Our Program?
- You can start the program as a freshman or transfer student, and you may take your first nutrition course right off.
- Our program requirements incorporate several general education courses as well as pre-medical coursework.
- Facilities include a good size food laboratory and a student-run school garden.
- You may study a semester abroad.
- Optional service learning sites are located within walking distance of campus, such as government public health agencies, schools, nursing homes, and a medical center.
- You may take an elective clinical field practicum at the hospital with a registered dietitian instructor.
- As a senior, you may apply to SUNY Plattsburgh’s online M.S. in Fitness and Wellness Leadership, and start taking some graduate level courses your senior year.
- As an alternative pathway to dietetic internships, we offer an ACEND-accredited Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway for SUNY Plattsburgh nutrition majors.
- SUNY Plattsburgh first time score on RD test is in the top 11% nation-wide, and first year pass rate is 100% (average last 3 years).
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Our program prepares you for a wide range of jobs in nutrition and related areas, including the following:
- Registered dietitian-nutritionist
- Registered dietetic technician
- Nutrition educator
- Food service manager
- Food technologist
- Food science careers
- Community health worker
- Health educator
- Public health nutritionist
- Wellness coach
- Diabetes educator