Fitness & Wellness Leadership Major
The fitness and wellness leadership major is an extensive interdisciplinary program.
What Will I Learn?
The program provides strong content knowledge, hands-on personal training experience as well as business, management and clinical rotations that will help you gain employment as a personal trainer, fitness professional, health or fitness manager and business owner. Four concentrations will prepare you for entry into the fitness and wellness industry or for graduate school in physical therapy, athletic training, chiropractor and other health professions. Allied health interested students are encouraged to work with both their fitness and wellness leadership advisor and with the pre-health advising program.
In addition, you will be prepared to enter graduate school programs in exercise science if you are interested in becoming an educator working in a college or university setting.
What is Unique About Our Program?
As you progress through fitness and wellness leadership major, you will have the opportunity to tailor your experience based on your professional goals. Choose from the four unique concentrations: fitness management, allied health science, athletic training and/or sports nutrition.
There are several areas of study within the major. Each segment offers:
- Wellness and fitness leadership
- Practical clinical experiences and rotations
- Fitness administration
- Personal training laboratory
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) certification
- Ample opportunity to participate in research. Several of our students have won awards and have presented at regional conferences or selected for the annual ACSM conference
Plus, as a fitness wellness undergraduate major, you may take two graduate-level courses as a senior and get a head start in our online M.S. program in fitness and wellness leadership.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Our program prepares you to work in:
- Hospital wellness centers
- Medically-based fitness facilities
- Sports performance facilities
- Public and privately owned health clubs
- Corporate fitness centers
- Colleges and universities
- YMCAs and JCCs
- Recreational and athletic sites:
- Director/fitness manager/supervisor
- Exercise leader
- Fitness and wellness coordinator
- Elite personal trainer
- Sports performance coach
- Professions that require graduate-level preparation:
- Physical therapy, athletic trainer, other allied health professions, physical education teacher