Jump to Footer

Sexual Assault & Interpersonal Violence

Need Help Now?

If you are visiting this page because you need immediate help or this is an emergency, please call 911 or University Police.

SUNY Plattsburgh University Police: 518-564-2022

If you or someone you know has experienced domestic violence, dating violence, stalking or sexual assault, we are here to help.

SUNY Plattsburgh will be responsive, empathic and considerate to individuals reporting these serious crimes. Protection of individuals who have experienced trauma, and the prevention of continued trauma, is our priority. You deserve to be safe.

If You are Sexually or Otherwise Assaulted on Campus

This is serious, and we are here to help. Here is what to do:

  • Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
  • If an emergency, call 911 or contact SUNY Plattsburgh University Police at 518-564-2022.
  • If you are wishing to or thinking about reporting: try to preserve all physical evidence:
    • Do not shower/bathe/wash, change clothing, comb hair, drink or eat, or do anything that would alter a physical exam.
    • Do not launder clothing and/or bedding or throw away anything that can be used as evidence.
  • If you would like to take college or legal action, you are urged to contact the University Police immediately.
  • Get immediate care for physical trauma.

Assaults, sexual or otherwise are crimes. Individuals who have been assaulted have the right to pursue adjudication of crimes that occur on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus through criminal courts and/or through the campus judicial process.

The Reporting Process

Response to Sexual Assault Flowchart

Response to Interpersonal Violence Flowchart

If you have problems accessing the information contained within these flowcharts, or have questions, please contact the Title IX office.

Who Can Help?

Here is a list of offices and agencies that can offer help.

Resource Contact


University Police 518-564-2022 24-Hr

Can assist with pressing criminal/campus charges & link to resources.

Residence Hall: CAs & CD Assigned by building 24-Hr

Can assist in linking to resources to file a report or access support.

Title IX Coordinator 518-564-3281
[email protected]
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Weekends and nights by appointment. Can investigate reports of sexual and interpersonal violence and link to resources, accommodations, and interim safety measures.
Violence Prevention Education Outreach Coordinator 518-564-2098
Room 110F, ACC
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Also by appointment Can provide education, resources and assist in proper practices.
Student Health and Counseling Center Health:

8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
9:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Walk-In health services are available. Unable to perform SANE exam.

All counseling services, except mental health emergencies, are provided by appointment only. Walk-Ins who indicate crisis from recent sexual assault can receive prioritized crisis services.
Resource Contact Availability Details
City Police 518-563-3411 24-Hr

Can assist with pressing criminal charges & link to resources.

State Police 518-563-3761 24-Hr

Can assist in linking to resources to file a report or access support.

Sheriff 518-565-4300 24-Hr Can assist in linking to resources to file a report or access support.
CVPH Emergency
518-562-7370 24-Hr Have SANE nurses on staff at all times.
Sexual Assault Services 877-212-2323
By Appointment at local office. 24-Hr Hotline. Can provide advocates to meet individual at hospital, as well as follow through process. Provide counseling services.
STOP Domestic Violence

Hotline: 888-563-6904
Days: 518-563-6904

Room 110, ACC

On-Campus: Wednesdays, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

24-HR hotline, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. 

Can provide advocates. Can assist in finding safe housing.

How to Report an Incident

As a student, faculty or staff member, you have options when it comes to reporting. You are not alone and there are members of both the campus and outside communities that are available to support and assist you throughout the process from reporting, to investigation, and on to a criminal trial or campus hearing.

If you have witnessed an assault while under the influence, and are afraid to report because you were engaging in personal alcohol or drug use, you will not face campus judicial charges.

Reporting Options In Brief

There are three primary options to make a report of an incident of sexual assault and/or interpersonal violence.

  • Confidential Reporting

    There are certain people on campus to which you can report to in a confidential manner. Specifically on SUNY Plattsburgh Campus, confidential resources are:

    • Counselors from Psychological Services. 518-564-3086
    • Medical Staff from SUNY Plattsburgh Health Center. 518-564-2187
    • Ward Hall Counseling Clinic (Graduate Student Counselors). 518-564-4178

    Off-campus confidential resources include mental health professionals, medical staff, clergy, and community advocates for domestic violence and sexual assault.


Back to top