Title IX Coordinator & Staff
Need Someone to talk to?
You are not alone. Our office is your safe, supportive, judgment-free space to tell your story and get the help and support you need, when you need it the most.
Dr. Ann James, Interim Title IX Coordinator
Email: [email protected]
What is the role of a Title IX coordinator?
The Title IX coordinator is a neutral/impartial person to whom individuals can file reports of discrimination, harassment, sexual violence and/or interpersonal violence including stalking.
The Title IX coordinator provides the following support and services:
- Ensures the college is in compliance with all state and federal legislation and mandates, including policy creation and revisions;
- Informs individuals of their rights under Title IX, Title VII, VAWA and 129-B;
- Ensures all reporting individuals are informed of reporting options, have appropriate access to resources, as well as necessary accommodations in the work or school environment;
- Ensures all accused individuals who choose to participate in a Title IX process are informed of rights, have appropriate access to resources, as well as necessary accommodations in the work or school environment;
- Provides individuals with information to make informed decisions on processes, policies and options;
- Connects individuals with advocates/advisors to support them throughout any process and in navigating choices;
- Communicates to the community information on resources, rights, responsibilities, reporting options, campus policies, as well as state and federal legislation/mandates;
- Oversees education, prevention and outreach efforts by the campus community;
- Initiates and oversees investigations in regards to sex or gender discrimination, harassment and/or violence;
- Tracks trends to assess campus safety risks and communicate safety issues to the campus community;
- Ensures that SUNY Plattsburgh is stopping, preventing and remedying gender discrimination, sexual harassment, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking and sexual assault in a timely and equitable manner;
- Provides pregnancy protections including academic accommodations;
- Upholds and inform individuals of breastfeeding/pumping rights as well as accessibility to appropriate accommodations;
- Develops and maintains sustainable collaborative relationships with campus and community partners who respond to, provide resources/support, provide education and outreach, adjudicate and work to prevent gender-based violence;
- Works to provide/increase equity in academic and campus-related activities.
The Title IX coordinator does not make determinations of responsibility. For more information on all of the steps, roles, responsibilities and processes, please review related SUNY Plattsburgh Policies.