Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program
SUNY Plattsburgh’s Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program provides tuition funding for up to six students each year who successfully demonstrate through their application that they will contribute to the diversity of the graduate student body.
The deadline to apply for the Diversity Fellowship for 2021–2022 is February 15, 2021. You must have a completed program application by this time in order to be considered for a fellowship award.
This award is available and subject to changes based on funding levels from the State of New York.
The application can be found below.
The deadline to apply for the Diversity Fellowship program for Fall 2021 has passed.
Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Member of a group underrepresented in your field of study (e.g., male in a historically female career or female in traditionally male career, or a minority in a field of study with few minorities)
- First-generation college student
- Non-traditional student (e.g., single mother or father or older adult student)
- Person with a disability
- Person from an economically disadvantaged background
Fellowship funds are determined by the campus and are based on annual funding available from New York state. Typically three full in-state tuition awards and three partial awards are offered each year. Recipients receive a credit to their college account, and any funds in excess of college charges may be used for other educational expenses, including books and supplies, room, meals, personal and transportation.
To be eligible for a SUNY Plattsburgh Graduate Diversity Fellowship, an applicant must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a newly applying full-time graduate student to a master’s or certificate of advanced study degree program
- Be able to contribute to the diversity of a graduate degree program or field of study
- Have overcome a disadvantage or other impediment to success in higher education
- Have high intellectual and professional promise
- Have completed a Diversity Fellowship application, as well as an application for admission for fall by February 15
The deadline to apply for the Diversity Fellowship for Fall 2021 has passed.
A short online application and a 400-word or less essay are required to apply for the Diversity Fellowship.
Application for Graduate Diversity Fellowship — The Diversity Fellowship application will reopen in late Fall 2021 for the Fall 2022 cycle.
Selection & Notification Procedure
Selection will be made by the diversity fellowship committee and based on the eligibility requirements described above, quality of prior academic record and financial need (as reflected in a FASFA or copy of most recent income tax statement). Announcements of awardees will take place after the February 15 deadline and after admission review committees have made their decisions about whom to accept to their academic programs.
Recent Diversity Fellowship Recipients
Read what some of our students have to say!