Graduate Opportunity Program
The Graduate Opportunity Program (GOP) provides tuition grants to New York State Opportunity Program (EOP, HEOP, SEEK) graduates who are admitted into an eligible graduate degree program at SUNY Plattsburgh.
This program awards grants to full-time graduate students who are pursuing their master’s degree or a graduate certificate program of at least 24 credits. The maximum award amount is the graduate tuition rate for NYS residents less any tuition specific gift aid. The minimum award amount is $1,000 per semester. Funding for the program is extremely limited and awards are not guaranteed for all who apply.
How to Apply
Submit a completed Graduate Opportunity Program (GOP) Application form to the Office of Graduate Admissions by February 15. The application includes contact information for the current EOP/HEOP/SEEK director of the college/university where you completed your bachelor’s degree. The director must verify that you completed the program.
Funding for the program is extremely limited and grants are not guaranteed for all who apply. After the priority deadline, certifications are accepted on a rolling basis until funding is fully exhausted.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria in order to be eligible for a grant:
- Be a New York state resident.
- Have graduated from a four-year undergraduate EOP, HEOP or SEEK program.
- Be admitted at SUNY Plattsburgh to their first master’s degree program or to their first graduate certificate program requiring 24 credits or more. Funding is not provided for a second eligible program (ex. second master’s), non-degree study, or a graduate certificate program of less than 24 credit hours.
- Register as a full-time student (12 credits or more, or 9 credits and an assistantship).
- There is no work obligation associated with the Graduate Opportunity Program
- Grant recipients enrolled in a master’s program are eligible for a maximum of four semesters. Grant recipients enrolled in a graduate certificate program are eligible for a maximum of two semesters if the degree requirements are between 24 and 30 credits, and four semesters if the degree requirements are between 30 and 60 credits.
- To renew the grant from semester to semester, the grant recipient must continue to register as a full-time student and maintain satisfactory academic progress within the degree program as determined by the EOP director.