SUNY Plattsburgh offers graduate assistantships for well-qualified, full-time matriculated graduate students. These positions are designed to allow you to grow professionally while pursuing your degree.
The deadline to apply for 2020–2021 assistantship positions has passed and we are no longer accepting applications.
Applications for 2020–2021 positions were due on February 15, 2020.
For full consideration, your admission application must also be completed by this date.
How to Apply for Assistantships
- Part One — Complete the Part One of the application process at 2020 SUNY Plattsburgh Graduate Assistant Application to indicate which positions you would like to be considered for. View position descriptions.
- Part Two — Complete the Human Resource Services employment application online at Graduate Assistant Application Pool. This process includes uploading a cover letter and resume. Only one cover letter can be submitted, so please speak broadly about your skills and abilities if you are applying to multiple positions.
Facts About Graduate Assistantships
- Graduate assistants must be full-time, matriculated students (enrolled in 12+ credit hours) at the start of the appointment period. A graduate student who withdraws or reduces enrollment from full-time to part-time status may jeopardize the stipend and tuition scholarship which affects tuition liability.
- With permission, exceptions may be granted to the full-time status requirement, allowing a graduate assistant to enroll in 9 credit hours if the assistantship is directly related to the educational program, or when the assistantship is housed within their academic department. To request a reduced course load, please complete the Graduate Assistant Reduced Course Load Request form (PDF) and submit it to graduate admissions.
- Continuing students need to communicate with their supervisor about renewing their position. Assistantships may be renewed for up to two years after the initial appointment, depending on availability of the position and approval of the assistantship supervisor.
- Maintenance of good academic standing.
- Full-time graduate assistantships offer an in-state tuition scholarship and a stipend. Residence directors also receive housing and a partial meal plan.
- Typically, positions are awarded with a fall start date, and a 2 semester appointment (1 academic year).
- Occasionally a position may become available in the spring semester — please inquire as to the availability of these.
- Graduate assistants, in addition to their status as students, are employees of the State University of New York and are represented by the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU). The terms and conditions of their employment are determined through collective bargaining and are enumerated in the agreement between GSEU and the State University of New York.
- Not all graduate assistantships are available every year.
- Applications are reviewed by the department offering the assistantship(s). The department will be in touch should they wish to schedule an interview.
- Assistantship opportunities are open to first time graduate students, as well as returning and continuing students.