Accessibility Resources Office
The Accessibility Resources Office (ARO) works with all students on campus who identify as having a disability. We provide equal access for students to have equitable opportunities during their time at college. We support the tenants of diversity, inclusion, autonomy, and self-advocacy. It is our mission to ensure that students are provided with the opportunities to succeed in academics, career, and their personal life in and beyond college.
Examples of accommodations you may access through the Accessibility Resources Office may include:
- Intake assessments
- Accessibility audits
- Approval of housing accommodations and emotional support animals (ESA)
- Assistive technology (AT)
- Extended test time (ETT)
- Note-taking assistance
- Alternate test/quiz location
- Registration of emotional support/service animal
- Alternative format textbooks
- Preferred classroom seating
More about accommodation services at SUNY Plattsburgh
New System for Accommodations
The Accessibility Resources Office has transitioned to the disability accommodation management system, Accommodate. All student accommodation requests and accommodation notifications to faculty will take place through the new system.
Accommodate is a program used by the ARO to manage student accommodations. Students log in to share their accommodation plan each semester, request exams and appointments, and manage any assistive technology. Faculty use the system to review student accommodation plan and approve exam accommodation requests.
Process to Register for Academic Accommodations
- It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Accessibility Resources Office (ARO) to register for academic accommodations.
- The ARO will not reach out to a student until they have made a formal request for academic accommodations.
- The registration process is a confidential and interactive process and once a student has registered with the ARO, they will remain enrolled until they are no longer enrolled as a SUNY Plattsburgh student.
- Academic accommodations will not be provided until a student has registered with the ARO and accommodations cannot be provided retroactively.
SUNY Plattsburgh fully supports the spirit of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and works individually with each student to meet their specific accommodative needs.