Declaring a Major
If you are a CURRENT student wanting to declare, change, add or delete a major or minor, please follow the simple steps outlined here. You will be able to make curriculum changes all by email or fillable form.
For a NEW student (who has not yet started classes at Plattsburgh), send an email to the admissions office ([email protected]) to request a different major. They will review your record to see if you meet admission criteria for the major.
You may submit curriculum changes entirely by email or by fillable form.
Option 1: Email
To declare or change your first major or minor, or add another major or minor, authorization is necessary.
- Send an email to the department chairperson of the major or minor you wish to add. (To learn who that is, visit our Explore Our Majors web page, choose your major department from the alphabetical list. The web page for each department has a “Contact Us” box with name and full contact info for the department chair or coordinator.)
- Emails must be from your Plattsburgh account, including your full name, your Banner ID (701......), and the specific major or minor you wish to add.
- Also include a working phone number in case your chair or the advising office needs clarification about your request in order for us to process it.
- The chairperson will determine your admissibility to their program, will reply to you with questions or confirmation and, if admitted, the name of your major or minor advisor. They will copy in, or forward to, the academic advising office for official processing.
To delete a major or minor, no authorization is necessary.
- From your Plattsburgh email account, send an email to [email protected].
- Include your name, Banner ID, the specific name of the major or minor you wish to delete, and whether you have applied to graduate at the end of this semester.
- Also include a phone number where you are reachable in case we have a question about your request before we are able to process it.
Option 2: Fillable Form
- You may opt to initiate a change of major, minor or advisor by completing our fillable field form and forwarding to the respective department chairperson.
- To learn who that is, visit our Explore Our Majors web page, choose your major department from the alphabetical list. The web page for each department has a “Contact Us” box with name and full contact info for the department chair or coordinator.
If you want to see the program requirements for any major or minor, you may also look at our Academic Catalog, link in the menu titled “Majors, Minors, & Certificates.”