Jump to Footer

Academic Advising

Each undergraduate student is assigned a primary academic advisor in their major. Your advisor is central to the network of academic support you receive at SUNY Plattsburgh.

The Academic Advising Office facilitates the advising system, but also provides outreach and front-line academic service and guidance to any student who is:

  • A new SUNY Plattsburgh student
  • A student in the Undeclared major
  • Changing majors/minors or in an academic “re-direction”
  • Unclear about an academic policy or degree requirement
  • In academic jeopardy or difficulty — and doesn't know what to do


Ranked Top 3 for SUNY Academic Advising

More about advising

Academic Advising is Essential to College Success

Ours is a faculty-based advisement system. Your faculty become your mentors.

Academic advising process

How We Can Help You

Students visit our office for a wide variety of reasons. Here are just a few:

Undeclared Course Advisement — Our office is the academic home for undeclared majors. Professional advisors assist undeclared students with adjusting to college, major exploration, and course selection.

Declaring a Major — Following a few simple steps, students may change, add, or delete a major or minor. We’ll show you what form to complete and direct you to the person from whom you need a signature or approval.

Academic Difficulty — Our office coordinates the academic progress review to ensure students meet the 2.0 GPA standard and are making satisfactory progress toward a degree. We assist students on academic probation and those questioning course/college withdrawal.

General Information & Assistance — Along with your own academic advisor, we can explain general education requirements, academic policies, how our advising system works, when course advisement occurs, how to interpret your Degree Works audit and register for classes.

Referrals to Services — Sometimes you need help with a matters connected to your academic life — such as study skills, career planning, mental health counseling, documenting a learning disability. Our office will refer you to experts who coordinate these services.

Back to top