Earn a B.S. in accounting supported by a high-quality AACSB-accredited business school at an affordable cost. Our program gives you a strong foundation in accounting and ensures you can integrate your accounting knowledge into the business world.
What Will I Learn?
- Our B.S. in accounting program qualifies you to sit for the NYS CPA exam with 120 credits immediately after graduation.
- Pursue other professional certifications such as CMA, CIA and CFE — you can seek the certified fraud examiner designation by taking our forensic accounting minor.
- Our program emphasizes a strong writing, professionalism and career development component to prepare you to achieve your career goals.
- Learn advanced technical and analytical skills such as Excel, VBA, spreadsheet automation, Power BI, Tableau, SQL and more.
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Convert your B.S. in accounting degree into the 4+1 accounting/data analytics and accounting B.S./M.S., a NYS certified public accountant (CPA) licensure-qualifying registered program, and earn the remaining 30 credits to meet the 150-credit CPA licensure requirement. You must meet the minimum GPA requirement.
- You will receive personalized academic and career advising from our dedicated accounting faculty and staff.
- The School of Business and Economics has a dedicated Office of Internships and Experiential Learning dedicated to making sure you have career planning advice, resources, and internship opportunities to fit your career goals.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Our Graduates are Successful
Our accounting graduates are not only getting job offers before graduation but getting competitive starting salaries. Our alumni are employed by CPA firms such as Deloitte, PwC, KPMG, EY, Grant Thornton, Bonadio Group, Johnson & Lambert and Gallagher & Flynn. Our graduates also work at multinational corporations and Wall Street firms such as IBM, Nike, GE, Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Smith Barney, Prudential Financial, Merrill Lynch and State Street.
IBM Job Placements and Co-ops
We have created a very strong partnership with International Business Machines (IBM). In the last 10 years, IBM has recruited over 100 SUNY Plattsburgh accounting majors for its nationally recognized co-op program. Our students have been placed at various IBM sites in New York, Vermont and Connecticut. A number of our accounting majors have also won the National IBM CO-OP of the Year Award. Many of our students who complete the co-op program have been offered full-time employment upon graduation.
Recent Accounting Program Graduates
Ken Nardone, Class of ‘17
- Perella Weinberg Partners
Danielle Arpey, Class of ‘16
- Senior Accountant, Private Sector
Alisha Ducatte, Class of ‘16
- Manager at The Siegfried Group, LLP