Health & Counseling Information for Students
Our staff of physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, counselors, nurses, medical laboratory technologists and administrative staff provide quality individualized care to students enrolled at SUNY Plattsburgh.
Student Rights & Responsibilities
The student health division of the Student Health and Counseling Center is concerned with your health and wellness. As one of our patients, you have rights and responsibilities.
You have the right...
- To be treated with respect, consideration and dignity.
- To be provided appropriate privacy.
- To be provided, to the degree known, complete information concerning your diagnosis, treatment and prognosis. When it is medically inadvisable to give such information to you, the information will be provided to a person you designate, or a legally authorized person.
- To participate in decisions involving your health care, except when such participation is contraindicated for medical reasons.
- To express suggestions through one of the center’s suggestion boxes, or file a grievance. Grievance forms are available from staff or the center’s website.
- To change providers, if another qualified provider is available.
- To inquire about advance directives. Information is located on the center’s website.
- To obtain a copy of this document or view it on our website.
You have the responsibility...
- To provide complete and accurate information to the best of your ability about your health, medications, including over-the-counter products and dietary supplements, and any allergies or sensitivities.
- To follow your treatment plan as prescribed by your provider and to participate in your care.
- To be financially responsible for any charges not covered by your insurance.
- To be respectful of all the health care professionals and staff, as well as other patients.
- To, if needed, arrange for a responsible adult to provide transportation home and to remain with you as directed by a provider and/or your discharge instructions.
Requirements for Attendance
The State of New York and SUNY Plattsburgh require that all students enrolled in six or more credits must:
- Be immunized against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR);
- Forward a completed medical history, immunization record, and physical examination report to the center within thirty days from the first day of classes; and
- Enroll in the College Health Insurance Plan or be covered by comparable and adequate insurance through another source. Failure to comply may result in dis-enrollment from the college.
Note: Students will need a physical from their physician in order to complete the medical history, immunization record , and physical examination report .
If a student is covered by a comparable and adequate insurance company, the student has the opportunity to decline the college health insurance plan on their bill. Visit cost and aid for instructions on waiving the charge.
Students who are covered by managed care plans outside of Plattsburgh are recommended to investigate the out-of-network benefits of their plan. If these out-of-network benefits significantly restrict the use of health care services in the Plattsburgh area, then we recommend that the student purchase the college health insurance plan in addition to their managed care plan.
Other Important Information
What to do when we’re closed
After hours and on weekends, call University Police at 518-564-2022, dial 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Urgent Health Care
- How to file a complaint
- Student Satisfaction Survey