Domestic Student Health Insurance
As of fall 2023, health insurance will no longer be mandatory for attendance and SUNY Plattsburgh will no longer offer a health plan. SUNY Plattsburgh highly recommends that all students have health insurance. Unexpected expenses due to an illness or injury can create serious financial difficulties.
Health insurance is mandatory for intercollegiate athletes and international students (see below).
If you are unable to obtain insurance through a family member or place of employment, here are some health insurance options available to you:
- Health Insurance Navigators know all the insurance applications rules and are an excellent resource. Students who reside in New York State (NYS), including the New York City metropolitan area, can make a phone appointment with a health insurance navigator through EASE (Enrollment Assistance Services and Education): 1(866) 872-3740. Health Insurance Navigators may also be available for in-person appointments during summer orientation and throughout the fall and spring semesters (check back here for updates).
- NYS residents can also find information and apply for insurance through the NYS Official Health Plan Marketplace, and non-residents can find information through the federal insurance marketplace.
Student Athlete Health Coverage
Health insurance for all student athletes is mandatory. More information is available on the Sports Medicine website.
International Student Health Coverage
The Global Education Office (GEO) staff will automatically process your enrollment in this insurance shortly before the beginning of each semester. Please note: Health insurance is mandatory for all international students at SUNY Plattsburgh. Due to SUNY regulations we can no longer waive this requirement, regardless of whether you have comparable health insurance from your home country. All enrolled international students must purchase the health insurance plan offered by SUNY Plattsburgh.
When your enrollment is complete, you will receive an email from UnitedHealthcare containing important information about how to access your health insurance. If you are already enrolled and have questions, please log in to the UnitedHealthcare website where you will find the answers to many of your questions.
Once logged in, you will be able to:
- Print your insurance ID card
- View the UnitedHealthcare Member Guide
- Review your health insurance plan benefits
- Locate providers, hospitals, and pharmacies that you can use with your plan
If you are an enrolled student and do not receive an email from UnitedHealthcare before the semester begins, please email the GEO staff.
Learn more about International Student Health Insurance and access forms.
Access Your UnitedHealthcare Insurance Account
You can access your account online through the UnitedHealthcare website or when you download the mobile app.