Jump to Footer

University Dismissals/Withdrawals for F-1 Students

University Dismissals

College policy requires that all students maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 to remain in “good academic standing.” At the end of each fall and spring semester, all student academic records are examined based on cumulative GPA.

If your cumulative GPA is below 2.0, you will be placed in “academic progress review” and are subject to academic dismissal from the college.

All students in academic review will be notified by email to their official SUNY Plattsburgh account. This email will come from the provost/vice president for academic affairs.

If you receive an email regarding academic dismissal, you should appeal immediately. You must follow the directions provided and adhere to the deadlines in the email.

If your appeal is granted, you will be allowed to enroll at Plattsburgh for the upcoming semester on academic probation.

If your appeal is denied, you will not be allowed to enroll at Plattsburgh for the upcoming semester. In order to keep your F-1 status, you must have already made plans to transfer to another institution to continue your studies.

Once your dismissal is official, your SEVIS record will be terminated if you have not transferred to another institution. You must make plans to leave the U.S. as soon as possible.

Withdrawals & Leaves of Absence

There are a number of reasons why a student might need to withdraw or take a personal, non-medical leave of absence from SUNY Plattsburgh. Some examples are:

  • A family medical emergency
  • Financial difficulties
  • Required military service
  • A transfer to another school/institution to pursue your course of study

It is not possible to request a personal, non-medical withdrawal during the last ten calendar days of the semester.

Please note that the procedures laid out below are only for personal, non-medical withdrawals/leaves of absence. For medical/psychological withdrawals, contact the Center for Student Health & Psychological Services at 518-564-2187.

How to Request Personal, Non-Medical Withdrawal or Leave of Absence for International Students

Before taking any action to withdraw from a current or future semester for personal, non-medical reasons, you should make an appointment with the International Student Advisor to discuss your plans. The International Student Advisor will be able to advise you on your immigration options and discuss with you the effect that your withdrawal will have on your immigration status in the United States.

  1. Contact Student Accounts (518-564-3120) to find out if you will be eligible to receive any refunds. When possible, students should withdraw before the start of the semester to minimize tuition and fee liability. Once the semester starts, the effective date of withdrawal determines whether the student will receive any refund of tuition, fees, or meal plan.
  2. Contact Student Financial Services (518-564-2072) to find out if your financial aid in the current and/or future semesters will be affected by your withdrawal or leave of absence.
  3. Understand the following college policies and procedures when withdrawing or taking a leave of absence:
    1. If withdrawing from the current semester, full-semester courses are assigned a WC grade (withdrawal from college). WC grades do not count in semester or cumulative grade point average (GPA). Course(s) completed before the effective date of withdrawal (i.e., courses fewer than 15 weeks) receive the grade earned. These grades will count in semester & cumulative GPAs. Grades less than a 2.0 could subject the student to an academic progress review at the end of a semester. Students with cumulative GPAs below 2.0 face academic dismissal from the college. Academic Progress Standards supersede college withdrawals.
    2. Students granted a college withdrawal relinquish the right to use all college services and privileges.
  4. Complete a SUNY Plattsburgh International Student College Withdrawal Non Medical Form and submit it to the international student advisor in the GEO Office.

If you are transferring to another school, your SEVIS record will be officially transferred on the agreed release date. 

If you are withdrawing completely from SUNY Plattsburgh and returning to your home country, your SEVIS record will be terminated.

When you are ready to return from a personal, non-medical withdrawal/leave of absence, please contact international admissions and the international student advisor. You will receive advisement on readmission and immigration procedures for your return.

Back to top