Jump to Footer

Renewing Your F-1 Visa

Entry visas can only be issued outside of the United States.

We recommend that you apply for your new visa in your home country.

We also strongly encourage you to schedule an appointment in advance before you leave the U.S. and also double check the U.S. embassy website in your country to see if there are other documents that they will require of you.

Standard Documents Necessary for Renewal

  1. Valid Passport (at least 6 months into the future)
  2. DS-160 Online Non-Immigrant Visa Application
  3. Current Form I-20 (updated with new finances and endorsed for travel)
  4. All previous Forms I-20
  5. New proof of funding
  6. Transcripts from SUNY Plattsburgh and any other previous institutions
  7. Proof of compelling ties to your home country
  8. Enrollment Verification Letter from the Global Education Office (GEO)
  9. SEVIS I-901 receipt (from your first visa interview)
  10. Any fees that might apply and your receipt showing payment

May I Go to Canada or Mexico to Renew My Visa?

It depends on how much risk you want to assume in the visa renewal process. Many students wish to travel to Canada or Mexico to apply for a new visa because they are so close to the United States. Before you decide to do this, please review the following information.

  • If you are denied a visa in Canada or Mexico, you will not be able to re-enter the U.S.
  • If you decide to travel to Canada or Mexico to try and get a visa renewed, you must be prepared to stay at least four (4) days before your visa application will be approved.
  • If you are a full-time student at SUNY Plattsburgh, and wish to visit Canada or Mexico to apply for a new F-1 visa, GEO recommends that you contact the U.S. Embassy in Canada or Mexico before leaving Plattsburgh. You should schedule an appointment and check on the Embassy's rules and requirements. Start with the list above to review the standard documents to bring with you to the visa interview. After you are granted a visa, you will be allowed to return to the U.S.
Back to top