Jump to Footer

Changing Levels for F-1 Students

A Change of Level (COL) is a change in your level of education and program for you as an F-1 student while staying at your current school. For example, you are going to graduate from SUNY Plattsburgh, but you have been accepted to a master’s degree program at SUNY Plattsburgh for the next semester. Before you graduate, you need to change your current bachelor’s I-20 to an initial master’s I-20.

You may request a Change of Level from the International Student Advisor for a higher level, the same level or after OPT has been completed.

You must request to change levels to the International Student Advisor either BEFORE you graduate from your current program, or no later than 60 days AFTER your current I-20/OPT end date. Please also note that any post-completion OPT will terminate on the new program start date.

Required Documents

  1. Acceptance Letter from a SUNY Plattsburgh master’s program
  2. New Financial Documents for the new program of study

Change of Level Procedures

  1. Apply and be accepted to a SUNY Plattsburgh graduate program.
  2. Gather new financial documents that prove that you can support the new program of study.
  3. Make an appointment with the International Student Advisor and bring all the completed required documents with you.
  4. The International Student Advisor will look over your documents. If all documents are in order, they will process a Change of Level Pending I-20 for you in SEVIS.
  5. The International Student Advisor will register you in SEVIS at the start of the new semester, complete your Change of Level in SEVIS, and issue you a “Change of Level Completed” I-20.
Back to top