Information for SUNY Plattsburgh Supervisors
Being a good supervisor can be challenging; the following tools can make it easier. Contact HRS for additional information or guidance.
Resources and Tools
Note: these following documents require the latest version of Acrobat Reader, which is available as a free download.
Guide to Leave Benefits for Employees and Supervisors
This handbook was prepared to assist SUNY Plattsburgh supervisors in the interpretation and application of the attendance and leave provisions of the collective bargaining agreements and the Attendance Rules for employees in the New York State departments and institutions. It should be viewed as a worksite companion piece to the Department of Civil Service New York State Attendance and Leave Manual, which is available in the Human Resource Services department. It is intended to offer guidance to supervisors in day-to-day issues of attendance supervision. It is not intended to be applicable to all situations, nor does it supersede the terms of duly negotiated agreements, laws, rules or regulations, or otherwise established policies or practices of State departments or agencies.
How to Fill a Position
- Recruitment Process - Classified (Clerical/Maintenance/Service/Security)
- Recruitment Process - Unclassified (Professional/Academic)
New Employee Topic Checklist for Supervisors
A list of suggested items to cover with a new employee during departmental training. Download New Employee Topic Checklist (PDF file size 57KB).
New Supervisor Resources & Orientation Checklist
A list of suggested topics that a supervisor should be familiar with as they acclimate in their new role. Download New Supervisor Resources & Orientation Checklist (PDF file size 22KB).
Employee Performance Evaluations
Varies by bargaining unit, please see the Employee Performance Evaluations page.
Counseling Checklist for Supervisors
Good planning and follow-up can help you avoid many common pitfalls in counseling. This checklist from the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations can help you prepare. Download Counseling Checklist for Supervisors (PDF file size 10KB)
Temporary/Probationary Employee Periodic Review
This document is used throughout a classified employees' temporary or probationary appointment to document performance, work ethic, and job performance on a monthly basis. Download Temporary/Probationary Employee Periodic Review (PDF file size 56KB)
Supervisor’s Role in the Separation and/or Transfer of an Employee
Things to do when one of your employees leaves your department. Download Employee Separation/Transfer Checklist (PDF file size 40KB)
- CSEA Administrative Services Unit – Office support staff and administrative personnel including keyboard specialists, clerks, and computer operators.
- CSEA Operational Services Unit – Craft workers, maintenance and repair personnel, and machine operators, including maintenance assistants, cleaners, and highway maintenance workers.
- CSEA Institutional Services Unit – Therapeutic and custodial care workers for clients including mental health therapy aides, developmental aides, licensed practical nurses, food service workers, and youth division aides.
- PEF Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services Unit – Professional and technical personnel including attorneys, nurses, accountants, social workers, and teachers in institutions.
- United University Professions (UUP) – Faculty and non-teaching professional staff within the State University system.
- Graduate Student Employees’ Union (GSEU) - Part-time teaching assistants and graduate student assistants pursuing a master's or doctoral degree at SUNY campuses.
- NYSCOPBA Security Services Unit – State security personnel (other than State Police) and institution safety officers (ex. security hospital treatment assistant, safety and security officer, security services assistant, security officer, and campus public safety officer)
- Council 82 Agency Police Services Unit (APSU) – Staff and supervisors with police duties and responsibilities employed by the State University of New York including university police officers and investigators.