Get real-world experience
All Points Now (APN)
An online-only magazine, APN focuses on lifestyle issues — food, arts, relationships, style — targeting a young adult audience. At APN, you will create and edit stories, audio, video and multimedia packages, covering trending topics with a personal voice. APN students have started podcasts, created how-to cooking videos, reviewed movies, interviewed makeup artists and written about fashion trends.
In this practicum, you will learn and practice:
- Using alternative story formats, such as lists, Q&As and how-tos
- Creating audio packages to accompany traditional stories or to stand on their own
- Shooting and editing video packages
- Creating GIFs and photos to illustrate stories
- Managing a WordPress magazine site
See what we're up to this semester at All Points Now.
At Cardinal Points, an independent student-run weekly newspaper, you can gain experience as reporters, photographers, videographers, editors, artists and page designers in an award-winning newsroom. CP has been a finalist for the Pacemaker, the college equivalent of the Pulitzer Prize; is a 16-time winner of the national All American; has been thrice named as the Best Overall Newspaper in the New York Press Association’s Better College Newspaper Contest; and has been inducted into the Associated Collegiate Press Hall of Fame. At Cardinal Points, students gain the clips and connections that help them land internships and jobs.
In this practicum, students will learn and practice:
- News, sports and feature writing
- Deadline writing and editing
- Maintaining a modern media website
- Writing and editing editorials and reviews
- Shooting photos and video
- Selling and designing ads
- Managing a newsroom and working with reporters
Check us out online to learn more about Cardinal Points.
Do North Magazine
At DoNorth, a glossy print tourism magazine, you will have the opportunity to write about the attractions, people and places of Plattsburgh and surrounding communities. In the past, students have reported on ice climbing in the Adirondacks, a refuge for rescued wildlife, the environmental impacts of deer hunting, and local eateries, coffee shops and breweries. This award-winning magazine is supported by the North Country Chamber of Commerce and has a circulation of 5,000 in northern New York and Quebec.
In this practicum, students and editors will learn and practice:
- Developing sources and building full-fledged story pitches
- Interviewing and story research
- Writing, editing and rewriting
- Planning and creating magazine-quality photography
- Digital layout of a modern print magazine
Read our latest edition at DoNorth online.