Public Relations Major
The public relations industry is changing and growing faster than ever! As a part of our program, you will build strong writing and presentation skills while you learn the principles and management of effective, targeted communications and graduate with a portfolio to hit the ground running.
What Will I Learn?
You’ll get to:
- Conduct critical research to analyze, manage and solve public relations problems.
- Plan, strategize, execute and evaluate a fully-branded, ethical public relations campaign.
- Write engaging, professional-level content for media print, web and social platforms.
- Complete internships garnering outside-world professional insights and experiences.
- Create a marketable portfolio showcasing real-life experiences to be used in future job searches.
What is Unique About Our Program?
Our faculty know your name as you work side-by-side on hands-on practical experiences in the community. You’ll have the chance to join forces with engaged, powerful alumni working with brands like Kind, the Food Network, Nickelodeon, Nike, Saatchi, Lady Gaga, 5W, Beyoncé and more.
In the last decade, students have participated in more than 50 effective and meaningful public relations campaigns including partnering with Hannah’s Hope to help win a quarter-million dollar Pepsi Refresh Everything grant; a fundraising campaign successful enough to buy a new van for a local at-risk youth group; and the creation of a week-long NASA STEM conference for 6,400 NYS elementary students, culminating in a live-streamed Q&A with astronauts on the International Space Station.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
- Public relations account executive
- Campaign managers
- Social media manager
- Corporate communications
- Crisis relations
- Human resources
- Web content developers/managers
- Admissions in higher education
- Positions in NGO/NPO
- Media relations specialists
- Public information officer
- Advancement/alumni affairs
- Financial PR
- Fundraising specialists
- Press secretary
- Community development
- Economic development
- Hospital PR
- Sports PR
Recent Public Relations Graduates
Karyna Malave, Class of ‘19
- Public relations assistant, Food Network and Cooking Channel at Discovery, Inc.
Gracie Lewis, Class of ‘15
- Coordinator, media planning and creative strategy at Nickelodeon
- Media planning department assistant
- Freelance social media manager
Gregory Russell, Class of ‘14
- Manager in affiliated sales and growth, Threads Styling
- Former PR stylist to Lady Gaga