Dr. Mahmoud Aly
Lecturer of Anatomy & Physiology
I am a passionate educator teaching Anatomy and Physiology I & II (BIO 326 & BIO 327). I hold a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of Ottawa. My main research focuses on how our bodies interact with antimicrobial resistance and explores their effects on the microbiome of our body systems. Please feel free to stop by my office or shoot me an email. Everybody is welcome.
Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Ottawa
B.S., Biochemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt
- Teaching Areas
BIO 326 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
BIO 327: Human Anatomy and Physiology II
New courses coming soon!
- Research Areas
- Infectious diseases and the challenge of antimicrobial resistance AMR
- Microbiome‘s role in relation to AMR, nutrition and the human body systems axis
- Student academic achievement and educational outcomes
- Recent Publications
- Aly, M. 2023. “Abstract 2706: Amr Enzymatic Inactivation Mechanism Attributed to Fosa Gene Antibiotic Resistance among Covid 19 Hospitalized Patients.” In J Biol Chem, vol 299, 103165: Copyright © 2023 The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc.
- Aly, M. 2022. “Args Prevalence among Hospitalized Covid‐19 Patients with Bacterial Infections and Resistome Abundance.” In Faseb J, vol 36: © Faseb.
- El-Mowafy, Mohammed, Abdelaziz Elgaml, Mohamed El-Mesery, Salma Sultan, Tamer AE Ahmed, Ahmed I Gomaa, Mahmoud Aly, and Walid Mottawea. 2021. “Changes of Gut-Microbiota-Liver Axis in Hepatitis C Virus Infection.” Biology 10, no. 1: 55.
- Haddad, S, M Aly, S Al-Johani, M Alghoribi, and H Balkhy. 2020. “Molecular Epidemiology of Human Adenovirus Infections in Saudi Arabia Pediatric Patients.” Journal of Infection and Public Health 13, no. 2: 372.
- Rodrigue, A. F*., Pereira, B. B*, Adeli, S. R*., Mahmoudian, L*., Mahmoud Aly*,#, Power, KA. 2019. “Diets Containing Kidney Beans as a Source of Plant Food Protein Improve Biomarkers of Intestinal and Metabolic Health in Healthy Mice.” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism (APNM) Journal. 44, no. 4: S45.
- Aly, Mahmoud, Mohamed Elrobh, Maha Alzayer, Sameera Aljuhani, and Hanan Balkhy. 2017. “Occurrence of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (Mers-Cov) across the Gulf Corporation Council Countries: Four Years Update.” PloS one 12, no. 10: e0183850.
- Aly, MM, NM Abu Alsoud, MS Elrobh, SM Al Johani, and HH Balkhy. 2016. “High Prevalence of the Per-1 Gene among Carbapenem-Resistant Acinetobacter Baumannii in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 35, no. 11: 1759-1766.
- Nivin Sharaf Eldin, Akef Obeidat, Gilles Jadd, Mohamad Al-Tannir, Mahmoud Aly and Khaled Alkattan. 2016. “Academic Performance and Time Management of Medical Students in Saudi Arabia.” International Journal of e-Healthcare Information Systems (IJe-HIS) 3, no. 1: 90 - 93.
- Abu-Madi, Marawan, Mahmoud Aly, Jerzy M Behnke, C Graham Clark, and Hanan Balkhy. 2015. “The Distribution of Blastocystis Subtypes in Isolates from Qatar.” Parasites & Vectors 8, no. 1: 1-7.
- Aly, Mahmoud, Aisha Al Khairy, Sameera Al Johani, and Hanan Balkhy. 2015. “Unusual Rotavirus Genotypes among Children with Acute Diarrhea in Saudi Arabia.” BMC Infectious Diseases 15, no. 1: 1-7.
- Aly, M, HT Tayeb, SM Al Johani, EJ Alyamani, F Aldughaishem, I Alabdulkarim, and HH Balkhy. 2014. “Genetic Diversity of Oxa-51-Like Genes among Multidrug-Resistant Acinetobacter Baumannii in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 33, no. 7: 1223-1228.
- Aly, M, A Alkhairy, S Aljohani, and H Balkhy. 2013. “P026: Genetic Characterization of Nsp4 Gene Form Rotavirus Infected Saudi Children.” Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control 2, no. 1: 1-1.
- Aly, M, and HH Balkhy. “The Prevalence of Antimicrobial Resistance in Clinical Isolates from Gulf Corporation Council Countries”. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2012; 1 (1): 26.
- Aly, Mahmoud, and Hanan H Balkhy. 2012. “The Prevalence of Antimicrobial Resistance in Clinical Isolates from Gulf Corporation Council Countries.” Antimicrobial Resistance and Infection Control 1, no. 1: 1-5.
- Vidovic, Sinisa, Mahmoud Aly, Cecily Flemming, Susan Springthorpe, and Syed A Sattar. 2011a. “First Evidence of Genotypes Ad3a16 and Ad3a18 in North America, Obtained by Genetic Analysis of Infectious Human Adenovirus from Wastewaters of Two Urban Communities in Canada.” Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77, no. 12: 4256-4259.
- Aly, M, S Wiltshire, G Chahrour, JC Loredo Osti, and SM Vidal. 2007. “Complex Genetic Control of Host Susceptibility to Coxsackievirus B3-Induced Myocarditis.” Genes & Immunity 8, no. 3: 193-204.
Textbook and Chapter
- Immune responses and cell signaling during chronic HIV infection, A Alhetheel, M Aly, M Kryworuchko, Current Perspectives in HIV infection, DOI: 10.5772/53010
- Genetic Susceptibility to Coxsackievirus B3 Myocarditis: Complex Genetic Control of the Susceptibility to Viral Myocarditis in the Mouse Model, Mahmoud Aly, ISBN-13:978-3844300260