Jump to Footer

Applying for a Canadian Visa

Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website Countries and Territories Requiring Visas, to see if you need a visa.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you need a visa to visit Canada, it is strongly suggested that you apply as early as possible. Going through the online process could take one month or more.

What Type of Visa Do I Need to Visit Canada?

Canadian visitor visas are called Temporary Resident Visas (TRVs); this is the type of visa you will need to visit Canada for tourism. The Canadian Consulate in New York will decide what type of visa they will issue to you.

There are two types of TRVs:


A single-entry TRV allows you to travel between the United States and Canada for six months after you first use the visa, but before its written expiration date. If you wish to enter from a country other than the U.S. you may only use this visa once.


A multiple-entry TRV allows you to enter Canada many times, from any country for the duration of the visa (usually 12 months).

How Much Does It Cost?

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Fee List

Please be aware that you may be subject to a biometrics fee. This cost is in addition to the visa.

How Do I Apply?

Back to top