Social Distancing & Face Covering Policy
Highlights the protections that are required and implemented to ensure the health and safety of our campus community including students, faculty, staff, visitors and contractors.
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
|8029.4||Emergency Management Services|
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Revision History
- 3.0 Units & Persons Affected
In the event of an outbreak of a highly infectious and/or deadly disease, including a pandemic, SUNY Plattsburgh may implement appropriate corrective measures aimed at limiting the transmission of disease including without limitation social distancing or other corrective measures. Decisions regarding social distancing for an outbreak of influenza or other highly contagious disease will be guided by such factors as the epidemiology of the disease, its response (if any) to anti-viral or other medications, the availability of effective medications, or other treatments, specific at-risk groups, proximity of confirmed infection to a particular locale, and other factors.
The college president, in consultation with Emergency Management and the campus health center director, will determine the appropriate level of social distancing measures or other corrective measures to employ. Federal, state, and local governing authorities may provide guidance in making the determination, and those authorities are likely to follow Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. In addition to social distancing, additional measures such as the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) may be implemented based on the epidemiology of the disease.
COVID-19 Pandemic Specific Policy:
Due to the increased prevalence of new COVID variants, and recommendations by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) all campus community members are required to comply with the following restrictions while on campus property, including but not limited to; inside buildings, in classrooms and labs, in meeting spaces, on campus grounds, and while in the process of transporting someone or something from one place to another, while traveling on official campus business, activities, athletic events, and field trips, and:
- All fully vaccinated individuals must abide by the following requirements:
- Fully vaccinated individuals do not need to socially distance.
- Fully vaccinated individuals must put on a face covering prior to entering a campus
building and continue to wear a face covering in common areas such as elevators, lobby,
bathrooms, when traveling around the building, in classrooms and labs, in meeting
spaces, and working in shared spaces. Wear a face covering in EVERY campus building
with the exception of a person's own residence hall room, personal office or other
private space, when seated in the dining hall and eating, and other situations where
posted guidance or other directive permits the removal of face coverings such as being
alone in a cubicle, office, or other designated area.
Vaccinated students living in residence halls will be required to wear face coverings when participating in indoor programs and at other larger indoor gatherings such as floor meetings. Visitors to a residence hall are required to wear a face covering including vaccinated students visiting another residence hall.
- All unvaccinated and partially vaccinated individuals must abide by the following
social distancing and face covering restrictions requirements:
- Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated individuals are responsible for ensuring they maintain social distancing indoors and outdoors.
- Face coverings are required:
- Outdoors: All employees, students, and visitors are required to have a face covering readily available on their person (e.g., around neck) when on campus outdoors and to put on their face covering when it is NOT feasible to maintain physical/social distancing measures (i.e., at least 6 feet of separation between others). OR
- Indoors: Anyone entering a campus building must put on a face covering prior to entering the building and to continue to wear a face covering in common areas such as elevators, lobby, bathrooms, when traveling around the building, in classrooms and labs, in meeting spaces, and working in shared spaces. Wear a face covering in EVERY campus building with the exception of a person's own residence hall room, personal office or other private space, when seated in the dining hall and eating, and other situations where posted guidance or other directive permits the removal of face coverings such as being alone in a cubicle, office, or other designated area.
- All State employees and third party affiliates (Research Foundation, CAS, Chartwells, etc.) must affirm that they have read the Revised Guidance for State Agencies during the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency in its entirety, understand its provisions, and will adhere to its requirements. (see Forms) State employees must return this signed attestation to Human Resource Services, 912 Kehoe. All third party affiliates should return them to their appropriate Human Resources office.
- More restrictive safety and health restrictions may apply to specific campus spaces. As such campus community members are required to comply with posted safety requirements or restrictions for campus locations or services.
Students are exempted from wearing face coverings while inside their residence hall rooms.
Face coverings should:
- fit snugly but comfortably over the nose and under the chin
- be secured with ties or ear loops
- include multiple layers of fabric
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
Please note that bandannas or single-layer gaiters are not an acceptable form of face coverings.
4.1 Compliance, Reporting & Enforcement Amnesty
The health and safety of every student at the State University of New York and its State-operated and community colleges is of utmost importance. A student acting in good faith that discloses any incident of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault to SUNY Plattsburgh officials or law enforcement will not be subject to SUNY Plattsburgh Code of Conduct action for violations of Social Distancing & Face Covering Policy occurring at or near the time of the commission of the domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault.
Failure to Comply
Failure to comply may result in prosecution for violations of New York State Law. Certain additional actions may also be appropriate:
- For students, it may result in a disciplinary referral to the Student Conduct Office for further action and/or removal from on-campus housing.
- For employees, it may result in referral to Human Resource Services for review and resolution in accordance with their collective bargaining agreement, including disciplinary action or termination. Employees are required to adhere to the above policy requirements in all instances except where doing so would inhibit or otherwise impair the employee’s health. Employees who are unable to wear face coverings due to a medical or other health condition should consult with Human Resource Services to discuss reasonable accommodations.
- For visitors, leasees, revocable permit holders and contractors, it may result in removal of authorization to be on campus property and/or termination of the applicable lease/permit/contract.
Reporting & Enforcement
Criteria for violations of this policy are subject to a continued New York State Disaster Declaration and Executive Orders of the Governor of the State of New York. Violations may be reported to University Police at 518-564-2022. Officers will respond and attempt to resolve violations with education and voluntary compliance where possible. Subsequent violations may result in referral for discipline and/or prosecution as appropriate and as further described herein.
This policy will remain in effect until further notice.
- All fully vaccinated individuals must abide by the following requirements:
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Responsibilities
- 7.0 Procedures
- 8.0 Forms
- 9.0 Appendix
- 10.0 Distribution & Training
For additional information about this policy, please contact the policy owner listed above.