Social Distancing & Face Covering Policy
Highlights the protections that are required and implemented to ensure the health and safety of our campus community including students, faculty, staff, visitors and contractors.
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
|8029.5||Emergency Management Services|
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Revision History
- 3.0 Units & Persons Affected
In the event of an outbreak of a highly infectious and/or deadly disease, including a pandemic, SUNY Plattsburgh may implement appropriate corrective measures aimed at limiting the transmission of disease including without limitation social distancing or other corrective measures. Decisions regarding social distancing for an outbreak of influenza or other highly contagious disease will be guided by such factors as the epidemiology of the disease, its response (if any) to anti-viral or other medications, the availability of effective medications, or other treatments, specific at-risk groups, proximity of confirmed infection to a particular locale, and other factors.
The college president, in consultation with Emergency Management and the campus health center director, will determine the appropriate level of social distancing measures or other corrective measures to employ. Federal, state, and local governing authorities may provide guidance in making the determination, and those authorities are likely to follow Center for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines. In addition to social distancing, additional measures such as the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) may be implemented based on the epidemiology of the disease.
COVID-19 Pandemic Specific Policy:
Due to the increased prevalence of new COVID variants, and recommendations by the CDC (Center for Disease Control) all campus community members are required to comply with the following restrictions while on campus property, including but not limited to; inside buildings, in classrooms and labs, in meeting spaces, on campus grounds, and while in the process of transporting someone or something from one place to another, while traveling on official campus business, activities, athletic events, and field trips, and:
- Face coverings are required in the following areas:
- All classrooms, labs, and instructional spaces
- Student Health Center
- Student Association Shuttle
- Pool Testing Site
Those who wish to continue wearing face coverings are welcome to do so, and those who have not been vaccinated or received their vaccing booster are strongly encouraged to continue wearing a face covering.
Face coverings should:
- fit snugly but comfortably over the nose and under the chin
- be secured with ties or ear loops
- include multiple layers of fabric
- allow for breathing without restriction
- be able to be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
Please note that bandannas or single-layer gaiters are not an acceptable form of face coverings.
4.1 Compliance, Reporting & Enforcement Amnesty
The health and safety of every student at the State University of New York and its State-operated and community colleges is of utmost importance. A student acting in good faith that discloses any incident of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault to SUNY Plattsburgh officials or law enforcement will not be subject to SUNY Plattsburgh Code of Conduct action for violations of Social Distancing & Face Covering Policy occurring at or near the time of the commission of the domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or sexual assault.
Failure to Comply
Failure to comply may result in prosecution for violations of New York State Law. Certain additional actions may also be appropriate:
- For students, it may result in a disciplinary referral to the Student Conduct Office for further action and/or removal from on-campus housing.
- For employees, it may result in referral to Human Resource Services for review and resolution in accordance with their collective bargaining agreement, including disciplinary action or termination. Employees are required to adhere to the above policy requirements in all instances except where doing so would inhibit or otherwise impair the employee’s health. Employees who are unable to wear face coverings due to a medical or other health condition should consult with Human Resource Services to discuss reasonable accommodations.
- For visitors, leasees, revocable permit holders and contractors, it may result in removal of authorization to be on campus property and/or termination of the applicable lease/permit/contract.
Reporting & Enforcement
Criteria for violations of this policy are subject to a continued New York State Disaster Declaration and Executive Orders of the Governor of the State of New York. Violations may be reported to University Police at 518-564-2022. Officers will respond and attempt to resolve violations with education and voluntary compliance where possible. Subsequent violations may result in referral for discipline and/or prosecution as appropriate and as further described herein.
This policy will remain in effect until further notice.
- Face coverings are required in the following areas:
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Responsibilities
- 7.0 Procedures
- 8.0 Forms
- 9.0 Appendix
- 10.0 Distribution & Training
For additional information about this policy, please contact the policy owner listed above.