College Survey Policy
Expresses how the College Survey Council will provide general guidelines and advice in the development and administration of surveys.
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Revision History
- 3.0 Units and Persons Affected
The College Survey Council recommends that you review and follow the principles and general guidelines listed below to assist you in the development of your survey.
- Does it provide useful information for planning purposes?
- Does it provide useful feedback to those providing services to students, staff, faculty and/or alumni?
- Does it provide the college with useful information on the experience of students?
- Does it provide information not addressed in existing surveys (e.g. NSSE)?
Content and Design of Survey:
- Is the survey well designed?
- Is the content appropriate?
- Are the questions easily understood?
- Is the survey too short or long?
- Does the survey follow an appropriate format? (e.g., multiple-choice questions, rankings, rating scales, open-ended questions. etc).
- Has the survey data collection process been well considered?
- Has a strategy been adopted to attain an acceptable participant response rate?
- Have you followed the procedures for protecting subject confidentiality for COPHS review?
- What is the target population?
- Will the entire population be surveyed, or a sample?
- Is the sampling methodology appropriate?
- When will the survey be conducted?
- Is it conducted at a time during the academic year when students are likely to respond?
- Does the survey overlap with other surveys?
- What is the intended impact of the study?
- What research questions are you attempting to answer?
- What resources will be needed in order to conduct the survey? (e.g., creation of mailing databases, designing the survey instrument, designing a Web application for the survey, conducting a survey, data entry, etc.)
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Responsibilities
- 7.0 Procedures
- 8.0 Forms
- 9.0 Appendix
- 10.0 Distribution and Training
For additional information about this policy, please contact the Policy Owner listed above.