Jump to Footer

Student Concerns & Complaints Procedures

SUNY Plattsburgh makes every effort to provide the best possible experience for students and to resolve student concerns and complaints in a timely and effective manner. In the event that something is less than satisfactory, students should initially attempt to resolve concerns and complaints with the appropriate campus department or office.

For an Emergency or to Report a Crime in Progress, DIAL 911 or Call University Police at 518-564-2022.

Specific procedures and guidance are available for the following student complaints:

  • Report an Incident or Crime — Guidance for reporting sex and gender discrimination and violence, bias acts and hate crimes, discrimination or harassment, hazing and vandalism.
  • Diversity Incident Reporting Form — Direct link to report being the target of or witness to a bias-related act.
  • Grade Grievance Procedure — To request action when a student feels that an assigned grade is not consistent with the grading policy in the syllabus, or that the evaluation has been unjust.

Institutional Concerns & Complaints Contacts

For assistance with other concerns and complaints related to the institution that have not been resolved through other means, a student may contact the following:

For concerns and complaints about student life and the campus experience:

Karen McGrath, Vice President for Enrollment and Student Success
Office: Kehoe 6th floor
Phone: 518-564-2280
Email: [email protected]

For concerns and complaints related to the academic mission of the campus:

Brent Carbajal, Interim Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
Office: 805 Kehoe
Phone: 518-564-5402
Email: [email protected]

For concerns and complaints related to discrimination, harassment, sexual violence or interpersonal violence:

Michael Thompson, Affirmative Action Officer
Office: 110F Angell College Center
Phone: 518-564-5067
Email: [email protected]

Kimberly Irland, Title IX Coordinator
Phone: 518-564-3281
Email: [email protected]

If a complaint is not resolved satisfactorily at the campus level, one of the following agencies may be contacted.

As a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA), SUNY Plattsburgh follows the complaint resolution policies and procedures outlined within the SARA Policy Manual and summarized at their Student Complaints page. Consumer protection complaints resulting from distance education courses, activities, and operations may be submitted to the Office of the Provost ([email protected]) for investigation and resolution. If a student is dissatisfied with the campus-based resolution, a concern may be submitted to System Administration of the State University of New York as outlined in their Student Concerns page. And, if still not satisfied, a complaint may be submitted, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the New York State Education Department as outlined in their Filing a Complaint About a College or University page. Please note, this does not include complaints related to grades or student conduct violations, both of which are to be fully addressed via campus processes, not through the NC-SARA complaint resolution procedures.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor
West Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: 267-284-5000
Email: [email protected]
Spanish: [email protected]
Website: https://www.msche.org/

The State University of New York System Administration
Provost’s Office
State University Plaza
335 Broadway
Albany, NY 12246

New York State NC-SARA Portal Entity Contact
Supervisor of Higher Education Programs
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, New York 12234
[email protected]


Back to top