Vehicle Registration & Hangtags
Before parking on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus, all vehicles must be registered with University Police (UPD) and display parking tags as proof of registration.
Students, faculty and staff with access to MyPlattsburgh should follow these guidelines to register a vehicle and pay for parking on the SUNY Plattsburgh campus. Employees who do not have access to MyPlattsburgh should contact the affiliate’s authorized agent for vehicle registration and payment instructions.
Students with access to MyPlattsburgh Portal
- Vehicle Registration Steps for Students
Vehicle Registration Steps for Students (full-time and part-time students):
STEP 1 — Register a vehicle: Register a new vehicle, or reconfirm a previously registered vehicle, in MyPlattsburgh on the Automobile Registration page no later than 48 hours prior to the semester start.
Students arriving early may park a pre-registered vehicle in designated student lots until they claim their parking tag prior to the session start. (See Claim Your Tag in Step 3 below.) If a pre-registered, legally parked vehicle is ticketed for 'no permit visible' prior to the session start, the appeals board will automatically expunge the ticket upon submission of the ticket number (photo of ticket is not required) to [email protected].
STEP 2 — Pay for Parking*: All students are automatically billed two parking fees (PR & PK) on their tuition bills. If you are parking on campus during a session, include both parking fees on your bill when confirming enrollment.
*Important Note: Students that do not have a car must remove unwanted optional parking fees — parking registration fee (PR) and parking fee (PK) — from tuition prior to confirming enrollment.
STEP 3: — Claim Your Parking Tag: Angell College Center 1st floor lobby, 9 a.m. to noon, starting on the Thursday prior to session start to the Tuesday immediately following session start (except Sunday.) Photo ID is required; NetID is preferred. You may not claim another student’s tag.
Effective on the session start date, be sure to avoid getting a ticket by following these guidelines:
- Properly display a valid parking tag as proof of registration
- Abide by the traffic and parking regulations according to the campus Lot Designations and Restrictions
- Avoid these Violations and Fines.
- If you receive a ticket for ‘no permit visible’ when your vehicle was pre-registered and legally parked, file an appeal to request a waiver of a first offense for ‘no permit visible.’ This first-offense waiver does not apply to other violations. Subsequent tickets for ‘no permit visible’ will not be waived.
- If you remove your parking tag in order to park illegally, a ticket waiver will not be granted.
- Helpful Links
- To the Automobile Registration Page:
- click the STUDENTS tab at the top,
- click the AUTOMOBILE REGISTRATION link
- To your Tuition Bill:
- click the STUDENTS tab at the top,
- click the MY ACCOUNTS link under the Student Accounts heading,
- click the appropriate TERM to access the SUNY PLATTSBURGH TUITION BILL ADJUSTMENTS screen,
- click the I ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT OF DEBT NOTICE BUTTON,
- click the UPDATE CHARGES button after completing all adjustments,
- click to CONFIRM ENROLLMENT button, located at the bottom of the SUNY PLATTSBURGH ACCOUNT SUMMARY WITH FINANCIAL AID screen, when all adjustments are correct.
SUNY Plattsburgh website:
- To the SUNY Plattsburgh Campus Parking page including:
- To the campus Academic Calendar
SUNY Adirondack website for Queensbury Branch Campus students:
- To the SUNY Adirondack Parking page
Faculty & Staff with access to MyPlattsburgh Portal
Employees with access to MyPlattsburgh
- Login to MyPlattsburgh with your NetID, click the Employees tab, to the Automobile Registration link.
- Register a vehicle, and then click the payment link at the bottom of the page to redirect to CashNet (or your affiliate’s authorized agent) and complete the requirements for payment of the $30 parking registration fee.
These two steps — register and pay — will authorize the assignment of a parking tag.
Specific Campus Affiliations
- State Employee (STEMP), with union representation through CSEA, GSEU, NYSCOPBA, PEF, PBANYS, UUP, pay a $30 parking registration fee only.
- Management Confidential (M/C) employees pay two fees:
- $30 registration fee in MyPlattsburgh (or as a direct payment to Student Financial Services) and
- $176 annual parking fee in a direct payment to Student Financial Services (or setup payroll deduction through Human Resources Services).
- Campus Person (CMPER) pays a $30 parking registration fee only.
- Community Director hired as a state employee (STEMP) pays a $30 registration fee only that is included in tuition. The $176 parking fee is waived as one of the CD benefits, and must be removed from tuition prior to confirming enrollment.
- Emeriti and Retiree (EMRTUS) pays a $30 parking registration fee only.
- Other Employee that does not fit into a category above AND has access MyPlattsburgh
pays two fees:
- $30 registration fee in MyPlattsburgh (or as a direct payment to Student Financial Services) and
- $176 annual parking fee in a direct payment to Student Financial Services for annual incomes above $30,000. Some affiliates offer payroll deduction. Contact your authorized agent for details on ‘register and pay’ options.
Other Persons without access to MyPlattsburgh
- Visitors, Clinic Patients & Guests
Invited guests and individuals attending public venues, meetings and events shall register for parking on campus using this Vehicle Registration Form.
Patients at one of the campus clinics should pre-register using the Vehicle Registration Form or you may contact the clinic to obtain a day pass.
Long-Term Visitor Parking
Long-term stays require pre-approval, payment of parking fees (where applicable), and authorization from campus housing or a department chair.
All volunteers shall be certified through Human Resource Services or authorized by a department chair.
- Literacy Volunteer tutors that volunteer at Hawkins Hall, as well as learners, shall register through the organization’s authorized agent.
- Docent volunteers in one of the campus museums shall register through the museum’s authorized agent.
- All other volunteers shall register through the department’s authorized agent.
- Vendors & Contractors
Vendors and service contractors selling products or services register bi-annually (June and December) for parking using this Vehicle Registration Form.
Contractors or subcontractors working under a construction contract for capital improvements should refer to the facilities authorized agent for the approved parking lay down area outlined in the contract terms.
- Affiliate Employees of Organizations Doing Business on Campus
Employees of an affiliate organization doing business on campus shall contact their affiliate’s authorized agent (usually their human resources representative) for specific parking registration instructions based on the terms of their affiliate’s parking agreement with SUNY Plattsburgh.
The affiliate employee shall register a vehicle and pay the applicable parking fees to the authorized agent.
Parking fees for affiliate employees are determined by annual income threshold:
- above $30,000 pay a $30 registration fee (OPR) and a $174.20 parking fee (OPK)
- below $30,000 pay the $30 registration fee (OPR) only
Certain campus members may apply for a specific parking privilege upon submission of the qualifying documentation.
Reserved Parking, Waivers & Special Privileges
- Reserved Parking for People with Disabilities
Reserved parking for an individual with a disabling condition is authorized when the individual registers a vehicle, according to their campus affiliation (above) and displays a handicapped tag in the rearview mirror.
- For a temporary disabling condition, submit a doctor’s note with the term outlined on the note. You will be notified within 24 hours to exchange your assigned parking tag for a special use handicapped tag.
- For a permanent disabling condition, submit (or drop off to UPD) a copy of your handicapped placard. A handicapped placard is for the disabled individual’s use only.
Users with access to MyPlattsburgh should upload supporting documents in “Automobile Registration” > “Request Special Parking Privilege” dropdown. Users without MyPlattsburgh may email documentation to: [email protected]
- Reserved Parking for Community Directors (CD)
Upon validation from the housing office to [email protected] and display of a faculty/staff parking tag, a community director is authorized to park in the designated reserved space. The CD shall maintain ownership of the reserved space by reporting unauthorized vehicles to UPD.
- Employee Service Vehicle Parking Privilege
Service Vehicle Parking for employees required to use a personal vehicle as a service vehicle.
Upon validation from the employee’s supervisor to [email protected] and display of a faculty/staff tag, an employee is authorized to park a personal vehicle in a service vehicle space while conducting official campus business only.
- Reserved Parking for Fuel Efficient Vehicle at Au Sable Hall
As outlined by the US Green Building Council Green Book, the ‘green’ building at AuSable Hall offers limited reserved parking for employees with qualifying fuel-efficient vehicles upon proof that a vehicle scores 40 or above in the ACEEE (American Council for Energy Efficient Economy) Green Book and classifies as a Zero Emission Vehicle (ZEV) by the California Air Resources Board.
Refer to the GreenerCars ratings for your vehicle’s rating report. Then upload the report to your vehicle registration (MyPlattsburgh to “Employees” tab to “Automobile Registration” link to “Request Special Parking Privilege” dropdown.)
- Veteran Waiver
Veteran parking waivers for veterans that served during a time of war, upon proof of honorable discharge by uploading a DD-214 to your vehicle registration at the bottom of the “Automobile Registration” page in MyPlattsburgh.
Every August, veterans with a DD-214 on file shall renew their active status (student or employee) in an email to [email protected].
All vehicles parked on campus must display a valid parking tag as proof that UPD authorizes the vehicle to park on campus property, according to the campus lot designations and restrictions. Parking tags are only transferable between vehicles registered under one tag holder (maximum 3.) UPD prohibits tag sharing as the tag holder is liable for all tickets tied to the parking tag.
- Parking Tag DisplayA parking tag must be readable when displayed from a vehicle’s rearview mirror or dash directly below the mirror. A motorcycle decal shall be adhered to on the left fork.
- Parking Tag Valid Dates
Student tags are valid from the date a tag is assigned to the end of each session, except, after the fall session, the same tag remains valid for spring session upon payment of the spring parking fee. Otherwise, return the tag to UPD at the end of the fall session to avoid the parking charge.
Employee tags are valid from the assignment date through September 30 of the next academic year.
Vendor tags are valid from assignment date through December 31, and renewable each December for the current academic year. Vendors on campus 4 or fewer times per year shall register as a visitor.
Visitor tags are valid for the term displayed on the limited-use tag, not to exceed 48 hours (72 hours on weekends.) Long-term tag assignments require authorization from the Housing office or a department chair.
Volunteer tags are valid for the term of the HRS certification, or validation by the department chair/supervisor, and must be renewed each session.
- Hangtag Disbursement
UPD disburses assigned parking tags from the Angell College Center main lobby between 9 a.m. to noon, starting on Thursday (prior to the first day of classes) through Tuesday (the day after classes start) except Sunday.
Starting on Wednesday following the session start date, UPD disburses assigned tags from UPD, located in the Health Center building. You should allow 24-hour processing after pre-registering. Validate your tag assignment in MyPlattsburgh (“Students” tab to “Automobile Registration” link.) before you attempt to pick it up.
UPD disburses assigned parking tags from the Angell College Center main lobby between 9 a.m to noon, starting on Thursday, prior to the first day of classes through Tuesday, the day after classes start (except Sunday.)
Starting on Wednesday following the session start date, UPD disburses assigned tags from UPD, located in the Health Center building. Allow 24-hour processing after pre-registering. Validate your tag assignment in MyPlattsburgh (“Employees” tab to “Automobile Registration” link.) before you attempt to pick it up.
In mid-September unclaimed tags are interoffice mailed to the employee’s office address listed in Banner. Note: To prevent misplaced tags, UPD encourages employees to validate Banner addresses when registering and follow change of address instructions where applicable
After October 1, UPD will not interoffice mail employee hang tags, and late registrants will be required to pick up their assigned hang tag from UPD, health center. Validate your tag assignment in MyPlattsburgh (“Employees” tab to “Automobile Registration” link.)
Visitors shall obtain limited use passes (maximum term of 48 hours) from UPD, Health Center, or Student Accounts, Kehoe 101, upon submission of a valid photo ID and vehicle state registration. To expedite tag assignment, visitors are encouraged to preregister using the Vehicle Registration Form and allow 24 hours to process the tag before attempting to pick it up. Visits longer than 48 hours require registration through the host and payment of parking fees where applicable.
Service tags disburse to employee supervisors when all service tag qualifications are met.
Volunteer tags disburse to department chairs when all human resource services volunteer certification requirements are met.
- Missing Parking Tag
File a Missing Hangtag Affidavit as soon as your discover your tag missing. Upon filing the affidavit, you are protected from tickets issued to the tag effective on the date you submit the affidavit. It does not include tickets received prior to the submission of the affidavit. To replace the missing tag, follow the instructions on the affidavit.
- Cancel an Unwanted Hangtag
Return the unwanted tag to UPD (for an unclaimed tag, email a cancellation request to [email protected]) within five business days from the session start, or tag assignment date, in order to avoid forfeiture of the parking fee (PK). Upon tag assignment, the parking registration fee (PR) is nonrefundable.