An economics degree serves as sound preparation for careers in business, law, public administration and finance. The SUNY Plattsburgh business economics program prepares students for employment as well as advanced work at M.B.A. or Ph.D. levels. Our goal is to educate students for successful careers in financial management and investment banking through a careful balance between theory and hands-on learning.
What Will I Learn?
- Learn to think critically and to engage in abstract reasoning
- Obtain gainful employment in the area of economics:
- Economics is one of the fastest growing and highest paid careers available today
- Jobs in economics are plentiful in both the public and private sectors
- Pursue an advanced degree (M.A. or Ph.D.) in economics. Several of our former students are now working on Ph.D.s at Cornell, University at Albany, University at Buffalo and West Virginia University
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Hundreds of our very successful graduates are working in New York City, Boston, throughout the U.S. and around the world.
- Opportunities outside the classroom:
- Economics club leadership positions
- Student Managed Investment Fund — Investment experience
- Independent research projects with faculty
- Adirondack Cup Challenge — Stock competition against other schools
- A well published and experienced faculty. Our department is one of the most prolific publishing departments on campus.
What Are My Career Opportunities?
Our Courses Open Doors to Career Opportunities
The specialized courses in public finance, money and banking, money and capital markets, stock market investment and analysis, corporate financial analysis, econometric, economic issues in economics and finance lead to careers in:
- Commercial banking
- Investment banking
- Market analysis
- Brokerage security sales
- Budget analyst
- Business economist
- Transportation planning
- Market research
- Commodity analysis
- Census bureau
- Tax analysis