New Student Orientation
Your Journey Begins Here
Congratulations on your decision to attend SUNY Plattsburgh! We are excited to welcome you and we know that you and your family probably have many questions about your transition to college life. Follow the steps below to get prepared for your virtual SUNY Plattsburgh orientation experience.
Although we are not able to offer an in-person orientation this summer, we have lots of virtual programming to help you learn more about what to expect on campus in the fall.
Summer 2021 Orientation Events
Upcoming Live Virtual Orientation
- Tuesday, August 10, 6 – 9 p.m.
Online sign up for the virtual orientation is now open! Follow the steps below to register and attend.
Preparing For Success Program
- Wednesday, July 28, 6 – 7 p.m.
Preparing for Success Inside & Outside the Classroom — You won't want to miss this special live, virtual orientation program called on Wednesday, July 28 from 6 – 7 p.m. During this session, faculty members will share strategies to help you transition to college-level courses. In addition, student leaders will share information about how getting involved in student activities and organizations can help contribute to your success and development.
If you were not able to join our special orientation program, watch a recording: Preparing for Success Inside and Outside the Classroom
Follow these steps
- STEP ONE — Sign Up For Orientation
- STEP TWO — Take the Competency & Placement Exams
- STEP THREE — Learn About Course Advisement & Registration
- STEP FOUR — Meet Your Orientation Leader
- STEP FIVE — Take a Virtual Tour of Campus
- STEP SIX — Attend a Virtual, Live Information Session
- STEP SEVEN — Evaluate Your Experience
Frequently Asked Questions From New Students & Families
Transportation & Parking
Campus Dining & Cardinal Cash
- When do we find out about our housing assignments and who our roommate is?
- How do we request a roommate, a single room/suite or a specific building?
- Will guests be allowed in the residence halls? Will I be permitted to visit friends in other residence halls?
- What things are permitted in the residence hall rooms?
- When is move-in day?
- Do student athletes and international students move in earlier?
Financial Aid & Payment Information
- Can you answer my questions about FAFSA?
- What scholarships are offered?
- How do we make payments directly from a 529 account?
- We have more than one household member going to two different colleges. How does that work for financial aid?
- Do loans add directly onto the bill or is it a separate payment?
- Where can I access my awards letter?
- What are subsidized versus unsubsidized loans?
- When will I hear from the college about financial aid package offered including loan amount eligibility?
- Is there a charge for the 50/50 payment plan?
- I was awarded a work-study job on my financial aid package. How do I receive it?
- When doing the Excelsior Scholarship, do they take away your TAP and Pell grant or it the scholarship money added on to your financial aid?
- Is it possible to schedule a one-on-one Zoom meeting with a financial aid advisor to help break down my financial aid report for the academic year?
- When is the due date to confirm enrollment?
- How do I know if I'm eligible for work study?
- Is it possible to change the awards you have accepted or are you locked into it? I don't want to take out a loan anymore.
Remember, please be sure to check your emails for other important new student information throughout the summer!
- You will receive information from admissions, academic advising and your academic program regarding tutorial videos, course advisement, and registration for the fall.
- Orientation leaders will be reaching out to you throughout the summer to answer any questions you may have, schedule opportunities to meet classmates, and connect you with new students in small groups.
- International students and students in special programs (such as EOP and CAP) will be receiving additional information from these programs.
Still Have Questions?
- Email us at [email protected].
- If you are an international student (studying in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa like the F-1), and have additional questions then please email [email protected] for assistance.
- If you are an EOP student and have additional questions then please email: [email protected] or call the EOP Office at 518-564-2263 for further clarification.