Cardinal Classroom is an academic support program for students in first through sixth grade.
The program is designed to supplement and support our community’s littlest learners in a time of fragmented educational access. The program pairs SUNY Plattsburgh childhood education students with children in the community to offer an online enrichment program, for grades 1-6. It will help your child explore extracurricular areas that are of interest to them. During the 5 week session, SUNY Plattsburgh teacher education students will research information based on your child’s interests and engage them in fun learning activities during the scheduled session time.
- Who can participate in Cardinal Classroom?
Any student who is in 1st through 6th grade can participate, regardless of what method of instruction they are receiving with their assigned school district (in-person, hybrid, remote learning, or homeschooling). Priority will be given to students in Clinton County in New York state.
- What services are offered?
Cardinal Classroom offers enrichment activities based on students’ areas of interest. Sessions are 45 minutes in length and will be offered once per week for five consecutive weeks.
- How much does it cost?
All services are offered for free. Future participation is voluntary, but may incur a cost.
- How do I register my child for Cardinal Classroom?
Registration is completed online by a caregiver. One form is required per child. Registration forms submitted after the deadline will be added to our waitlist. Should program capacity be reached before the registration deadline, a waitlist registration will be opened up.
You may access registration forms by emailing the Cardinal Classroom director at [email protected].
- When are services offered?
Enrichment is offered in both fall and spring semesters. Sessions are 45 minutes in length and will be offered once per week for five consecutive weeks. Services may go beyond these dates should scheduling be difficult.
- What does participation in Cardinal Classroom look like?
After a caretaker registers their child, the child will be matched with one or more service providers. Once a match is made, the provider(s) will call the caregiver to schedule an intake appointment. This intake will take approximately 20 minutes and will help the provider gain a better understanding of the child and the goals for participation in the program. Once the intake is completed, the provider will schedule the first session.
All sessions will take place online. Sessions will be scheduled with the provider and caretaker. Links to sessions will be shared via the email address used to register for the program. Once a child logs on for a session, the provider will do a check in, facilitate a warm-up activity and then spend time focusing on content.
- What do families need to provide to participate?
In order to participate, a parent must complete a registration form for each child. An email address will be required to participate as links to remote sessions will be communicated via the address. Families will schedule sessions with a provider directly. You must have access to a laptop or tablet, a reliable internet connection and must agree to the terms and conditions of services. (See below.)
Terms and conditions of participation in Cardinal Classroom:
- Registration is required.
- Participation is voluntary and you can withdraw at any time. Please email the program director should you like to discontinue service.
- Cardinal Classroom is designed to supplement public school or homeschool instruction. It is not intended to replace school attendance.
- Cardinal Classroom sessions must be completed in the presence of an adult. The program is not designed to replace adult supervision.
- All sessions will be recorded by our providers for supervision and evaluation purposes. Recorded sessions are a requirement for participation. Additionally, videos may be used for educational purposes for future students in the SUNY Plattsburgh childhood education program. No student information will be shared and all videos will be kept confidential.
- Future participation will be voluntary but may incur a cost.
- Absenteeism or session disengagement may result in program removal.
- Is it safe for my child to participate in the program?
Cardinal Classroom was designed to maximize the safety and security of all participants. All of our providers have undergone multiple background checks and fingerprinting. All sessions will be recorded and reviewed by faculty. Services are offered online only to maximize access to the program.
Should you have any concerns regarding the safety and security of the program, please direct them to the program director at [email protected]
- How will providers be supervised?
Our providers are currently students in the SUNY Plattsburgh childhood education program. All students who provide service will record their sessions for supervision purposes. The childhood education faculty will review and evaluate all sessions.
- Can Cardinal Classroom count as “homeschooling”?
No. Cardinal Classroom is designed to supplement instruction in school or at home. It is not designed to take the place of regular instruction.
- Can my child receive support in person?
Not at this time. SUNY Plattsburgh working to design a sustainable, long-term program that engages students near and far. However, all services will be provided online.
- Program questions or comments?
Please contact the program director at [email protected]