Dr. Richard Robbins
Chair of Anthropology
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor
Dr. Robbins’ teaching interests include courses on global problems, utopian societies, Indigenous peoples of North America, comparative religion, and activist anthropology. He has conducted research among Indigenous peoples of Canada and fishing communities in Northeastern New Brunswick.
His hobbies include biking, hiking, reading, and sailing.
- Ph. D., University of North Carolina
- M.A., New York University
- B.A., Rutgers University
- Comparative cultures
- Global issues
- Culture and belief
- Anthropology and food
- Anthropology of stuff
- Utopian societies
- Indigenous peoples of Canada
- Fishing communities in Northeastern New Brunswick
- Robbins, R.H. (with Rachel Dowty). (2021) Cultural Anthropology: A Problem Based Approach. 8th Edition. Sage Publishing.
- Robbins, R.H. (2020). The Economy After Covid-19. Focaal Blog.
- Robbins, R.H. and T. DiMuzio. 2020. Capitalized money, austerity and the math of capitalism. Current Sociology, Volume 68, pages 149–168
- Robbins, R. H. (2020). Financialization, Plutocracy, and the Debtor’s Economy: Consequences and Limits. In Financialization: Relational Approaches. Edited by Chris Hann and Don Kalb. Max Planck Studies in Anthropology and Economy, Volume 6, pp 65–94.
- Robbins, R. H. (2019). The Tyranny of the Rate of Return. The Money Question. https://themoneyquestion.org/the-tyranny-of-the-rate-of-return/
- Robbins, R. H. (2019). The Transcendental Meaning of Organic Food. in Organic Food, Farming and Culture. Edited by Janet Chrzan and Jacqueline Ricotta. Berg Publishers (Bloomsbury Publishers).
- Robbins, R. H. (2018). An anthropological contribution to rethinking the relationship between money, debt, and economic growth. Focaal—Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology 81 pp. 99–120
- Robbins, R.H. and Rachel Dowty. (2018) Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism, 7th Edition (with Rachel Dowty). Pearson Press
- Robbins, R. H. and Tim Di Muzio (2017). An Anthropology of Money. New York: Routledge Publishing
- Robbins, R. H. (2016). Cultural anthropology: A problem-based approach (7th ed.). Boston, MA, United States: Cengage Learning.
- Robbins, R. H., & Di Muzio, T. (2016). Debt as power. United Kingdom: Manchester University Press. Runner up for 2017 Sussex International Theory Prize for the Best Book in International Relations (http://www.sussex.ac.uk/cait/prize/2017)
- Robbins, R. H. (2015). Global problems and the culture of capitalism. Chinese Translation
- Robbins, R. H. (2014). Debt and the Monetary Foundations of Inequality. Anthropology News, 55, 14–15. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi/10.1111/j.1556-3502.2013.541102.x/abstract
- Robbins, R. H., & Armstrong, J. (2015). Rites of passage: Male. In Whelehan, P. E., & Bolin, A. (Eds.), The international encyclopedia of human sexuality (1059-1114). Harlow, United Kingdom: Wiley-Blackwell (an imprint of John Wiley & Sons Ltd).
- Robbins, R. H. (2014). Global problems and the culture of capitalism (6th ed.). Boston, MA, United States: Pearson Education (US).
- Robbins, R. H. (2014). Globalne problemy a kultura kapitalizmu. (Dymczyk, S. Trans.). Poznań: Wydawnictwo Pro Publico.
- Robbins, R. H. (2014). Global problems and the culture of capitalism (Korean Translation). Korea: Dolbegae Publishing Company.
- Robbins, R. H. (2013) Coffee, fair trade, and the Commodification of morality. Reviews in Anthropology, 42(4), 243–263.
- Robbins, R. H., & Dowty, R. (2013). Cultural Anthro 2 (2nd ed.). United States: Wadsworth Publishing Co.
- Robbins, R. H. (2011). Reflections on Robert Gordon’s going abroad: Traveling like an anthropologist and international study programs. General Anthropology, 18(1), 1–10. Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Robbins, R. H. (2012). Cultural anthropology: A problem-based approach (6th ed.). Boston, MA, United States: Cengage Learning.
- Robbins, R. H. (2011). Neoliberalism, Race and Racism. In Mason, P. (Ed.), Encyclopedia of race and racism (2nd ed.) (252-255). Boston, MA, United States: Cengage Learning.
- Robbins, R. H. (2011). Cultural Anthro. Boston, MA, United States: Wadsworth Publishing Co.
- Robbins, R. H. (2010). Global problems and the culture of capitalism (5th ed.). Boston, MA, United States: Pearson Education.
- Robbins, R. H. (2010). Tulip Bulbs and Bursting Bubbles. Anthropology Now, 2(1), 21–31
Awards & Honors
- Runner-up (Honorable Mention) for the best piece of research in International Relations for 2016 awarded by the Centre for Advanced International Theory at Sussex University for Debt as Power co-authored with Tim DiMuzio
- American Anthroplogical Association Teacher of the Year Award
- SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence
- Selection for Choice (the Journal of the Association of College and Research Libraries) for an Outstanding Academic Title of the year fro 1999 for Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism
Recipient of the 1994 Textbook and Academic Authors Association Excellence Award for the outstanding text in the social sciences and humanities Cultural Anthropology: A Problem-Based Approach
- Curriculum Vitae