Subpoena (Subpoena Duces Tecum) Policy
Clarifies the procedures relating to subpoenas and subpoena duces tecum served on campus.
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Revision History
- 3.0 Units and Persons Affected
- 4.0 Policy
- Immediate supervisors should be notified whenever an employee receives a subpoena or subpoena duces tecum.
- Requests for personally identifiable information and/or subpoenas or subpoena duces tecum should be directed by mail or fax to the Assistant to the Vice President for Administration, (FAX 564-2540/Voice 564-2539, Kehoe 710) within 24 hours of receipt. Do not release information to the subpoena server.
- Subpoenas and subpoenas duces tecum for employee records only will be directed to the Human Resources Office. That office will contact the SUNY Counsel’s office for approval and direction and will inform the Assistant to the Vice President for Administration of the subpoena and their response to it.
- The person named on the subpoena will be notified of the subpoena and the date the campus intends to comply with the subpoena unless the subpoena, on its face, directs that the individual not be notified.
- The Assistant to the Vice President for Administration will validate the subpoena or subpoena duces tecum with SUNY Counsel and will notify individuals if information can be released.
- The Assistant to the Vice President for Administration will copy the person named in the subpoena and will copy the custodian of record with the response letter.
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Responsibilities
- 7.0 Procedures
- 8.0 Forms
- 9.0 Appendix
- 10.0 Distribution and Training
For additional information about this policy, please contact the Policy Owner listed above.