Mass Email Procedures Policy
Expresses the circumstances in which mass email is utilized on campus.
|Policy Number||Policy Owner|
|10015.5||Library and Information Technology Services|
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Revision History
- 3.0 Units and Persons Affected
Mass emailing involves sending unsolicited email messages to a group of otherwise unrelated campus email addresses. Mass email messages are a useful and convenient way of informing the campus community. However, because they have the potential to unnecessarily consume resources and clutter campus inboxes, the college requires that senders of such messages adhere to usage guidelines.
- Use of campus mass email is subject to SUNY Plattsburgh's Responsible Use of Technology Policy (See Appendix).
Whether mass email messages are sent by using a personally constructed list of addresses or a system-generated list (such as [email protected]), there is no difference in the effect or applicability of this campus policy. Recipients of system generated lists do not have the ability to opt out of this system.
Acceptable content criteria
While the ability to send mass emailings is confined to just authorized users, those users are obligated to restrict such use to mailings that fit the following criteria:
- Be non-commercial in nature
- Be related to the college's mission or business functions
- Be issued in text format with no attachments
- Be brief (200-400 words), and include a link to a web site or shared Google drive document if more information needs to be communicated
- If a survey, be approved by Sponsored Research prior to being sent to any email list.
The following types of announcements should not be sent out as mass emailings:
- Lost-and-found notices
- Personal statements
- For rent/sale items
Mass email lists
The campus maintains several system-generated mass email lists, as follows: Digest mass email lists
Two mass email lists for sending a message to "all employees" or "all students." We call these "Digest lists," as messages are "digested” into a collection system during the day and then sent out as one larger combined email message early the next morning. All Digest messages are archived and searchable. Our Digest lists are:
- [email protected] – received as “Employee-Digest." This Digest feed goes to all active employees of SUNY Plattsburgh (only faculty & staff can send to this list)
- [email protected] – received as “Student-Digest.” This Digest feed to all enrolled students (all active students, faculty & staff can send to this list)
Critical and Emergency mass email lists
Four special mass email lists are reserved solely for critical and emergency alert circumstances. Messages sent to these lists are delivered as quickly as possible. Our Critical/Emergency lists are:
- [email protected] - the email distribution to all employees and academic building occupants, for high-urgency, critical alerts only
- [email protected] - the email distribution to all on/off campus students, for high-urgency, critical alerts only
- [email protected] - the email distribution to all employees and academic building occupants, for emergency alerts only
- [email protected] the email distribution to all on/off campus students, for emergency alerts only
A limited number of authorized users are permitted to send messages to the critical and emergency lists. All users are obligated to restrict such use to mailings that fit campus criteria. A list of authorized senders can be obtained by contacting the LITS Dean's office.
Examples of Critical mass emails messages:
- Weather policy
- Downtime for major computer systems (e.g. Banner, network, etc.)
- Professional development
- Facilities information regarding heating/water/major construction
- Interviews for candidates @ director level and above
- Campus-wide speakers and events
Examples of Emergency mass emails messages:
- active shooter
- class cancellations
- state/national/local/campus emergencies
Lists targeted to select campus groups
Several population-defined lists are also maintained. These lists are considered mass email lists, and users will follow acceptable content guidelines as stated above. Only faculty and staff can post directly to the specific system lists; these are:
- PSU-Auxiliary - Auxiliary Services Employees
- PSU-Classified - SUNY Plattsburgh Classified Employees (includes classified M/C and staff represented by CSEA, PEF, and University Police Bargaining Units)
- PSU-Emeriti - SUNY Plattsburgh Emeriti
- PSU-Faculty - SUNY Plattsburgh Faculty Employees (includes Academic, Professional, and M/C)
- PSU-RF - SUNY Plattsburgh Faculty Employees who are part of the Research Foundation
- Union-CSEA - CSEA Union Members
- Union-MC - Management Confidential Staff
- Union-PEF - PEF Union Members
- Union-UUP - UUP Union Members
A list of authorized senders can be obtained by contacting the LITS Dean’s Office. Vice Presidents can send an email to LITS Deans office to grant additional users in their respective areas sending privileges.
- 5.0 Definitions
- 6.0 Responsibilities
- 7.0 Procedures
- 8.0 Forms
- 9.0 Appendix
- 10.0 Distribution and Training
For additional information about this policy, please contact the Policy Owner listed above.