International Application Missing Items (Detailed Descriptions)
Below you can find a detailed description of all the items that can be missing from your application for international admission. The sooner we receive your completed application, the sooner we can make our admission decision. Please refer to only those items listed in your email and disregard the rest.
- Address Outside of the U.S.
A permanent street address (not P.O. box) is required for us to process a Form I-20 which will allow you to apply for a student visa.
- Choice of Major
- College/University Transcript
If you have ever attended a post-secondary educational institution (for example, college or university), you must send official college or university academic records, with English translation (if applicable), certified by appropriate school official with original stamp and signature of school official. This requirement applies to students who took a single class, who were enrolled in college but never successfully completed a course, or who attended classes but did not do well. If you need assistance translating your documents into English, we recommend finding a translator through the American Translators Association.
- Complete Mailing Address
We need a complete and accurate mailing address (including postal code, if applicable) to send you an official admissions decision.
Please submit a personal essay using at least 250 words. Please answer these questions in your essay:
- Why are you choosing SUNY Plattsburgh for your university study in the United States?
- Why are you choosing your particular major? What are your educational/career goals after graduation?
- Briefly describe your family and your home. How many siblings do you have? Who lives in your house?
- What do your parents do for a living?
- Gap InformationIf you were out of school for six months or more since beginning secondary school, please provide a written explanation of your activities during that time. For example, have you been working, going to college/university, traveling, etc.?
- High School DiplomaCopy of the graduation certificate issued by the high school you attended certified by appropriate school official with original stamp and signature of school official.
- High School Transcript
Original secondary school academic records (last 3 – 4 years of secondary work) indicating graduation/completion date (if applicable), with English translation if original is not in English, or copies certified by appropriate school official with original stamp and signature of school official. If you need assistance translating your documents into English, we recommend finding a translator through the American Translators Association.
- International Application Fee
Submitted applications will not be processed until we have received payment of the $50 application fee. This fee is non-refundable. Payment of the application fee varies according to which application method you chose:
- Common Application: You will pay the fee within your CommonApp portal
- SUNY Application: You will pay the fee within your SUNY portal
- International Undergraduate Application: You will pay the fee in your admissions portal using a credit card or wire payment.
In all three cases, you can verify that your admission application fee has been received by logging in to your admissions portal.
- Official Bank Statement
In compliance with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, all international applicants must provide evidence of sufficient funds available for their studies.
- We require a current bank statement (dated within the past two months)
- Statement must be issued on bank letterhead
- Statement must include the name of the account holder and currency, clearly indicated in English
- If the family name (surname) of the account holder on the financial statement is different from your own, you will need to provide a letter written in English from that individual stating his or her relationship to you and intention to financially support your education
An Affidavit of Support cannot be used in place of a bank statement. If you need assistance translating your documents into English, we recommend finding a translator through the American Translators Association.
- Reference LetterIn compliance with the State University of New York (SUNY) common application system, you are required to submit one letter of recommendation. Letters composed in English are preferred, but we can sometimes accept a letter written in another language.
- SAT/ACT ScoresIf you wish to be considered for merit scholarships, you are strongly encouraged to submit SAT or ACT scores by ordering an official score report from College Board/ACT. Codes for SUNY Plattsburgh: SAT: 2544; ACT: 2944.