Mission, Vision & Goals
The SUNY Plattsburgh Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders will continue to strengthen its national recognition and be one of the leading programs in the state of New York by providing stellar academic and clinical preparation in a supportive environment and by offering state-of-the art clinical services.
The communication sciences and disorders department effectively prepares students to meet the unique needs of our professions in an evolving society. Through high quality instruction and mentoring, students are both supported and challenged in accordance with the highest standards of our professions. It is our aim that, through instruction, collaborative and experiential learning, and self-reflection, our graduates will lead resourceful, compassionate, and ethical professional and personal lives, and will engage in life-long learning. We are committed to providing high quality speech, language, and hearing services to the community on- and off-campus and to operating a state-of-the-art teaching clinic. Research and continuing education are essential to providing person-centered and science-supported quality services. We believe that everyone is entitled to actively engage in personal and professional growth in an inclusive and supportive, yet challenging, environment that values critical thinking, diversity, and professional ethics.
- Provide students with evidence-based knowledge of communication and swallowing disorders.
- Ensure students demonstrate clinical competency across a variety of speech, language, and swallowing disorders.
- Provide students with an experiential and collaborative learning environment with opportunities for critical thinking and reflective practice.
- Maintain a pluralistic and inclusive academic and clinical learning environment that values diversity.
- Prepare students to communicate effectively orally and in writing in professional practice.
- Educate students to become ethical professionals who are highly qualified and employable.
- Deliver a broad range of evidence-based clinical services to the community.
- Contribute to the knowledge base of the professions through scientific research.
- Support area professionals and faculty by offering continuing professional education opportunities.