The communication sciences and disorders department at SUNY Plattsburgh offers an extensive range of clinical opportunities to students with a national and international focus.
Your clinical practicum will start in our on-site clinic in your very first semester. By the time you graduate, you will have a broad range of clinical experiences in a variety of settings, and you will be prepared to work in any clinical fellowship position you choose.
On-site clinic – SUNY Plattsburgh Speech and Hearing Center
You will work in our clinic, supervised by the same professors that teach you in the classroom. This means that there is continuity between your academic and clinical learning, which helps you to apply your knowledge from the classroom into your clinical work.
Our clinic caters to a wide range of client groups, both adult and pediatric, in a variety of service delivery models.
- Preschool/Early Intervention clients
- Alzheimer/memory group
- Stuttering group
- Adult neurogenic communication group
- Aphasia group
- Aphasia choir
- Community preschool and adult screenings
- Audiology clinical experience
- Voice evaluations
- Accent reduction
- Hospital rotations
Our on-site clinic offers students an opportunity to gain experience in each range of practice. That is, speech, language, swallowing, voice, hearing, alternative and augmentative communication, accent reduction and stuttering.
Our students have exclusive use of:
- In-room laptops loaded with clinical software
- Access to comprehensive assessment library
You will have a number of options available to you, should you wish to pursue an internship.
- Beekmantown Central School, Beekmantown, NY
- Champlain Valley Educational Services (BOCES), Plattsburgh, NY
- New Meadow Saratoga School, Malta, NY
- Peru Central School, Peru, NY
- Plattsburgh City Schools, Plattsburgh, NY
- Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital, Plattsburgh, NY
- Glens Falls Hospital, Glens Falls, NY
Community Service Centers and Clinics
- Clinton County Advocacy and Resource Center, Plattsburgh, NY
- Hudson Valley Cerebral Palsy Association, Patterson, NY
- Millennium Speech Pathology, Huntington Station, NY
- Speech Reading and Improvement Center, Troy, NY
- Tellit-Dire, Montreal, Quebec
Your final semester will be spent off campus on your externship placement. This is where you will learn to take on a clinical caseload to prepare you for working life beyond graduation. We place our students all over the USA and even in Canada!