How to Schedule & Book a Visit
To check availability or to schedule a visit to the Northcountry Planetarium please call our staff at 518-564-3168 anytime Monday–Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Notes & Reminders to Consider When Planning a Visit
- The Northcountry Planetarium will be available for K–12 school groups on Tuesdays and Thursdays between 9 a.m. and 12 noon. The last morning school presentation must be scheduled to begin no later than 11 a.m.
- The Northcountry Planetarium will be available for special interest groups by individual prior arrangement.
- Please give some consideration to the constitution of your “visiting group”; their age, grade level, school curriculum, maturity, life experiences, interests and whether or not they belong to a classroom or a special interest group.
- Please keep in mind we are planetarium, not an observatory. Our ceiling does not open to reveal the actual night sky to be observed with a telescope; rather our dome shaped ceiling remains closed and acts as a hemispherical projection screen for the planetarium projector to accurately simulate the celestial phenomena of night sky as well as their locations and natural motions.
- Please note that the Northcountry Planetarium may be closed or operate under limited hours during regularly scheduled college holidays and recesses such as Thanksgiving, Winter Recess, Spring Break, Summer Recess, etc.
- You may wish to allow for slightly more time in your schedule than is indicated for our programs to accommodate travel to and from your transportation and/or student questions.
- Due to the nature of the delicate optics, electronics and other equipment food, beverages and gum are not allowed in the planetarium theater.
- Classroom teachers, parents or other responsible adult chaperons must remain in the planetarium theater with their students or special interest group throughout the entire presentation.
- Cellular telephones, laptops, flash cameras and all other electronic devices should be turned off and stowed prior to entry into the planetarium theater.
- As it is the nature of our facility to accurately simulate the night sky, the planetarium theater will become dark, very dark. Please advise and prepare your students accordingly prior to your arrival.
- We are pleased to offer handicap accessible parking and entry access as well as accommodation for three wheelchairs per show.
- Due to limited parking in the Hudson Hall area, large numbers of cars or buses may be directed to other parking venues. The closest designated parking for planetarium guests is the Hawkins Hall P2 parking lot (click here to see campus parking map) which is accessible from Cornelia Street. Should P2 be full, or otherwise unavailable, please be prepared to walk across campus from neighboring parking areas or drop guests at either the Hawkins Hall vehicle pull-out on Beekman Street or the Hudson Hall front entrance and then park your bus or vehicles elsewhere on campus. For further information about arrival and parking options please call our staff at 518-564-3168 anytime Monday–Friday between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.